• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein shocks... whatchya gonna runnin??

Valved at 360/80 was damn near perfect. I wouldn't worry about vehicle specific, find some with the right valving, mounts, and travel. A 12" travel shock should do you fine. With the 14" short bodies and long arms, I had enough droop to fully unseat my coils.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Valved at 360/80 was damn near perfect. I wouldn't worry about vehicle specific, find some with the right valving, mounts, and travel. A 12" travel shock should do you fine. With the 14" short bodies and long arms, I had enough droop to fully unseat my coils.

Exactly the feedback I was looking for... you running 5125s? Sounds like the exact shock I need!

Exactly the feedback I was looking for... you running 5125s? Sounds like the exact shock I need!
I had 7100s with reservoirs, so I don't know if they do short bodies outside of the 7100 range. A 12" travel shock should fit the same space as the 14" short body. I was at right about ~5" of lift in the front.

Had? What replaced em?
7100s are nice... but getting into 200$ per shock isn’t something I’m ready for.. probably be looking at Fox and or coil overs at that point... which is no time soon :D
Probably won’t find short bodies without a reservoir tho :/

Man i thought I had a lot more options with the bilstein 5125s.. now that I’m reading the chart correctly, I have 2 choices in the 360/80 valving for eye to eye... 10” travel is all’s a get apparently

Man got excited when I started reading about em on your links...

My needs at collapsed length apparently is not something the manufacturers are into. According to the graph the only thing near 16”s collapsed has only 8”s of travel... whack

Travel 8″ collapsed 16.5″ extended 24.5″

Last edited:
Whack

I think your hung up on your factory lower shock mount. Wack it off then put 12" stroke shock where you want it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The bar pin eliminators add a little height... I can drill new holes to lower it to around 16.5” compressed, but getting it to 20”s for the 12” FOAs , I’d have to cut the entire mount off of the axle and mount it to the lower control arm or something.

I could get to the 17.9”s compressed length for the bilstein 5125s easier for 11.94”s travel... but then I can’t get the valving I’d prefer of 360/80

Sucky. I guess I’m at the magic number of SOL

Did you see how I cut a pocket and welded channel to lower shock mounting point down beside control arm bracket.

On my dana 30 I'm building I going to build a bracket off the side of the control arm bracket
Bracket will have adjustment to tun my current 10" shocks and I'll be able to do 12"

I'm sitting at just shy of 2" of lift have the lower mount lowerd quite about.

I did notice the foa shocks run long. Othere than that all I know is the are far less expensive than fox I've also seen a mixed bag of review's from haters to lovers. For 150 bucks they're alot of shock.

They do not come charged though. The need about 150 shot of nitrogen ounce recieved

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In the front eliminating the bar pins and reconstructing the lower shock mount will allow longer and a wider selection of shocks.
4346134447_d84ae7f223_w.jpg

In the rear, with raised shock mounts on the axle, to get much longer shocks requires going up into the floor. I went up 2", into the interior floor, to utilize the extra travel of the 10" shocks.

In the front eliminating the bar pins and reconstructing the lower shock mount will allow longer and a wider selection of shocks.
4346134447_d84ae7f223_w.jpg

In the rear, with raised shock mounts on the axle, to get much longer shocks requires going up into the floor. I went up 2", into the interior floor, to utilize the extra travel of the 10" shocks.

That front bracket look good. How much did it gain? I need to do something like that on the front of my XJ for up to 2 inches. Do you have a different angle picture you can share?

That front bracket looks good. How much did it gain? I need to do something like that on the front of my XJ for up to 2 inches. Do you have a different angle picture you can share?

It's about two inches lower but that is dependent on how it fabricated, it could be even lower. The lower location was set to have maximum travel without bottoming out the shocks.
I'll try to take and post another photo.

I dig it... wish I still had the front axle out... rebuilding the rear 9” now..

Luckily I haven’t bought shocks yet
But the only 5125s in 360 valving wouldn’t need lower brackets.. 12” travel 270s would work tho

Had? What replaced em?
7100s are nice... but getting into 200$ per shock isn’t something I’m ready for.. probably be looking at Fox and or coil overs at that point... which is no time soon :D
Probably won’t find short bodies without a reservoir tho :/
Not having an XJ anymore replaced them.

Back