• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

in cab winch controls?

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
anyone here got them? since ive got my new winch on and hooked up, ive decieded that it would be very nice to hook up some in cab winch controls. ive found the tech to hook it up, but where are people mounting the switches in an xj? there not alot of room for it.

kolby

Speaking from experience the last place I would want to be is sitting in the drivers seat operating my winch, it's a very bad idea. The control cable that comes with warns is long enough to sit there if you want to do that but I prefer to be standing off to the side where I can see whats going on.. I think there is a wireless one out there to that uses batteries like a garage door opener, you could velcro that if you wanted to...
As far as I'm concerned the only thing you want to play with from the drivers seat might be your 'wench' and thats about it :D

Make sure you use a momentary switch. I mounted mine to the back of my console behind the floor shifter. I have the short console without a arm rest.
You could mount it next to the t-case shifter. Just keep it within arm reach while sitting in your seat. It will be a pain in the back if you don't !!!! I have since just plugged in my controller and route it to the drivers side window.

Sponge Bob

lankchevy said:
anyone here got them? since ive got my new winch on and hooked up, ive decieded that it would be very nice to hook up some in cab winch controls. ive found the tech to hook it up, but where are people mounting the switches in an xj? there not alot of room for it.

kolby

If you got a recent model XJ this: http://www.kwanms.com/

i mounted mine on the front part of my arm rest so i can be comfortable and easy to reach

BTW: remi your link no worky.

RichP said:
Speaking from experience the last place I would want to be is sitting in the drivers seat operating my winch, it's a very bad idea. The control cable that comes with warns is long enough to sit there if you want to do that but I prefer to be standing off to the side where I can see whats going on.. I think there is a wireless one out there to that uses batteries like a garage door opener, you could velcro that if you wanted to...
As far as I'm concerned the only thing you want to play with from the drivers seat might be your 'wench' and thats about it :D

Speaking from experience a bad idea?

I know we have our own opinions based on our own experience, but how do you winch yourself up a waterfall if you're not in the vehicle driving? If I'm winching myself I need to also be driving my rig. If all I'm doing is pulling myself a few feet to get unhung from something I still need to control my vehicle, like putting the brake on or putting it in Park when I stop to undo the winch cable. If I'm winching someone else I need (or someone needs) to be sitting in the drivers seat with a foot on the brake pedal.

I think an inside winch control swith is a great idea, and I wheel with a number of people who have them. The easiest way to do it is too just get an extra winch controler and take the switch apart and mount it on the console. The plug can be tied to the grill and left plugged in, but can be unplugged if you ever need to use the other controller to winch from outside.

RichP said:
Speaking from experience the last place I would want to be is sitting in the drivers seat operating my winch, it's a very bad idea. The control cable that comes with warns is long enough to sit there if you want to do that but I prefer to be standing off to the side where I can see whats going on..

Why is it a bad idea?!
Who is driving if you're "standing off to the side..."?

I found an M8000 for $150. but the control box was trtashed. I searched for a wiring diagram. went to napa and bought 4 solenoids, a roll of 2awg and connectors. I mounted the solenoids on my firewall, ran the big wires to the battery and winch through the grill. I mounted a SPST momentary toggle switch to a comfortable spot on the center con. ceter tap to DC+, the other two leads went to the corrosponding taps on the solenoid pack. one could get fancy by wiring the DC+ through a on/off SP toggle thus being a winch arming switch.
My solenoid pack is safetly under the hood away from the possibility of vandalism. heard stories of kids going around and pulling the winch cable out over the hood, roof and rear and connecting it under the rear axle. they then short the winch and run like hell as it winches in over the roof then overheats...

Rawbrown said:
I found an M8000 for $150. but the control box was trtashed. I searched for a wiring diagram. went to napa and bought 4 solenoids, a roll of 2awg and connectors. I mounted the solenoids on my firewall, ran the big wires to the battery and winch through the grill. I mounted a SPST momentary toggle switch to a comfortable spot on the center con. ceter tap to DC+, the other two leads went to the corrosponding taps on the solenoid pack. one could get fancy by wiring the DC+ through a on/off SP toggle thus being a winch arming switch.
My solenoid pack is safetly under the hood away from the possibility of vandalism. heard stories of kids going around and pulling the winch cable out over the hood, roof and rear and connecting it under the rear axle. they then short the winch and run like hell as it winches in over the roof then overheats...
Holy crap! Thanks for the idea.

None of you guys with winches should piss me off if you plan on attending any future NAXJA events.

Okie Terry said:
Holy crap! Thanks for the idea.
glad to know i wasnt the only one

I never saw it first hand but heard about it in austrailia...

Jes said:
Why is it a bad idea?!
Who is driving if you're "standing off to the side..."?

I have never been in a situation where I have to winch myself out by myself. I'm very conservative about where I go when I'm alone. Usually it's hooking up to someone else. The control for the warns is long enough to reach the drivers seat with no problem thru either window. I alos like to see whats going on so I like to be outside seeing it first hand. I think I also mentioned that there is a wirelss controller, saw one at paragon this past summer but I don't know how much they cost, that to me would be the best of both worlds with the wired one carried as a spare. I guess it's a matter of how you learned, I'm very cautious around a winch or any other kind of towing equipment and hitting those buttons blind bothers me....especially on rocks...

might want to take a look at this one if you have a newer Warn

Warning on wireless

Dear All WARN ATV, Self-Recovery and Industrial Winch Owners:

It has come to our attention some customers are inquiring about the compatibility of using the currently available Radio/Wireless Remote Control Devices with a WARN Winch.

Here is what you need to know:

IMPORTANT PERFORMANCE NOTICE ABOUT THE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE RADIO/WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROL DEVICES

For WARN Self-Recovery winches, the currently available Radio/Wireless Remote Control devices clearly disable the WARN backup (redundant) winch switching control functions. This is because the Radio/Wireless Remote Control Devices utilizes three (3) control wires while the WARN remote switch utilizes five (5) control wires. The five (5) control wires are critical to proper function.

For all WARN winches (ATV, Self-recovery and Industrial), the currently available Radio/Wireless Remote Control Devices may lengthen the response time between the winch control functions of POWER IN and STOP, POWER OUT and STOP. These Radio/Wireless Remote Control Devices do not meet the WARN standards for operator control of any WARN winch product.

For over 50 years, WARN has been committed to providing dependable, reliable products you can trust. WARN strongly recommends that you DO NOT use the currently available Radio/Wireless Remote Control Devices with any WARN winch product.

If you have any questions, contact the Warn Industries Risk Manager at: Phone 503-722-3044; Fax 503-722-3000; E-mail: [email protected]

View Document as PDF

In my '98, I did similar to Rawbrown except I used the plug for the winch remote and installed that in my dash. I am using a Warn XD9000 with the solenoids mounted in line along the inner passenger fender. I took the control box apart and mounted the plug in the dash next to the door. I can plug the controller in here and either use it inside OR run it through the window to the outside and operate it from up near the winch. It has worked well so far. I do like that KWAN device linked to earlier though. I had never seen that before. Too rich for my blood, but a pretty cool product! Jeff

Kejtar said:
If you got a recent model XJ this: http://www.kwanms.com/
Has anyone actually installed this in an XJ? I'd really like to go this route but I don't want to be the guineau pig.

r@m

well i picked up the switches i need for this today from radio shack. i think i might modify the ash trey so that the switches are hidden in it. not sure yet tho.

kolby

RichP said:
I have never been in a situation where I have to winch myself out by myself. I'm very conservative about where I go when I'm alone. Usually it's hooking up to someone else. The control for the warns is long enough to reach the drivers seat with no problem thru either window. I alos like to see whats going on so I like to be outside seeing it first hand. I think I also mentioned that there is a wirelss controller, saw one at paragon this past summer but I don't know how much they cost, that to me would be the best of both worlds with the wired one carried as a spare. I guess it's a matter of how you learned, I'm very cautious around a winch or any other kind of towing equipment and hitting those buttons blind bothers me....especially on rocks...

Rich, that's why I said our experience is different. In the rocks when we can't make an obstacle, it's necessary to drive the rig to manuever it while we winch, so we have to be inside our rig. Also, we winch up some rock waterfalls where you need the vehicle power in addition to the winch to get up, so we need to be inside giving it some gas plus driving to keep the rig where it needs to be. This is why we don't like hydraulic winches because you can't winch and steer at the same time. It's not that we're out there by ourselves. :)

Goatman said:
Rich, that's why I said our experience is different. In the rocks when we can't make an obstacle, it's necessary to drive the rig to manuever it while we winch, so we have to be inside our rig. Also, we winch up some rock waterfalls where you need the vehicle power in addition to the winch to get up, so we need to be inside giving it some gas plus driving to keep the rig where it needs to be. This is why we don't like hydraulic winches because you can't winch and steer at the same time. It's not that we're out there by ourselves. :)

Still makes me nervous but then I been running cable for cisco aeronet waps in a 60ft high by 500ft long atrium in philly this week. That freakin telescoping platform still bothers me when I bring it down cause I can't see whats under there... I wont dwell on the wobble fully extended at 55ft or how long it takes to stop when rotating it and if it was MY design those friggin outriggers would be alot BIGGER thats for sure... two left to do tomorrow. It was so much easier learning how to jump out of airplanes....

RichP said:
Still makes me nervous but then I been running cable for cisco aeronet waps in a 60ft high by 500ft long atrium in philly this week. That freakin telescoping platform still bothers me when I bring it down cause I can't see whats under there... I wont dwell on the wobble fully extended at 55ft or how long it takes to stop when rotating it and if it was MY design those friggin outriggers would be alot BIGGER thats for sure... two left to do tomorrow. It was so much easier learning how to jump out of airplanes....

The only time I've been in a bucket was putting up a Xmas tree made out of strings of lights attached to a pole on the second story roof of a neighbors house.......and of course the wind was blowing.

I didn't like it......but I had already volunteered. :)

Back