• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Radiator Electric Fan - best replacement?

riverside

NAXJA Forum User
The electric engine fan (right one, facing the jeep) has gone out. What is the best replacement? Should I replace the engine fan (left, facing jeep) with a flex fan? What size? The vehicle tends to run on the hot side. Thanks.

Parts store replacement, or Junkyard. Maybe install a ZJ non max cooling fan clutch as well.
Can also write in an override switch and or timer.

97+ fan from a junkyard or new.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Do not replace the mechanical fan with a flex fan, mistake.
For the electric, use a SPAL fan, they are some of the best! Go to their website and look under the 11" fans. Get a bracket kit, too. Easy to install. Works way better than the stock electric fan.

Hard to beat the curved blade 97+ fan for bang for the buck. I will saw spall is awesome. I had a supercharged miata that had a large high speed electric fan in place of the stock fans. It was a spall and produced enough thrust to actually move the car on level ground in neutral 🤣

Correct 97 and newer. The older fans had straight blades the later ones had curved blades which gave it better CFM.

It's not as a nice as a Spall but is a straight drop in with exception of MAYBE having to swap connectors which is an easyb2 wire affair.

Look around online they're pretty affordable. I've seen them from 50 dollars on the low end new to the OEM Mopar fan for about 200.

Last edited:
Simply by design, a quality curved-blade fan will be noticeably quieter than a straight bladed fan, or the stock type fixed bladed thermostatic fan. The newer curved bladed fans may make more of a whooshing noise, but that is the noise from the air they are moving, not so much the fan itself. Any opportunity to upgrade, you should do so. The factory electric fan is cheaper, yes, but does not compare to the flow numbers of a quality electric fan. Keeping in mind that the XJ has a hot engine compartment with the 4L, and a better fan is worth the extra dollars.

I've noticed that people are always trying to find solutions to problems on their own, and by doing so they make the situation even worse. Why do you try to figure it out without going to professionals for help? In the first place, you should have gone to https://bates-electric.com/locations/minneapolis-mn/ first so that you have confidence in the safety of your device. I believe that you should always (in any matter) go to those who are good at what they do, but don't try to solve it yourself and keep breaking it. My father taught me this and I have always listened to his advice for a reason

I've noticed that people are always trying to find solutions to problems on their own, and by doing so they make the situation even worse. Why do you try to figure it out without going to professionals for help? In the first place, you should have gone to https://bates-electric.com/locations/minneapolis-mn/ first so that you have confidence in the safety of your device. I believe that you should always (in any matter) go to those who are good at what they do, but don't try to solve it yourself and keep breaking it. My father taught me this and I have always listened to his advice for a reason

I know this is an aged post, today's previous post looks a lot like spam but here is the deal; if your jeep is total stock, the factory system works perfectly when it's in good condition. I deliver mail, stop and go, ac running max in 100 degree, 99% percent humidity. My system is all new, all clean and the needle doesn't budge of the 210 mark.

Agreed. Once I replaced an aging radiator with a new Mopar one I'm never over 210 even when it's over 100 and hill climbing. Everything but the rad is original.

Back