• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on replacing XJ driver's door latch

Sand-Dog

NAXJA Forum User
Searched, didn't find a "how to" write up on replacing the door latch mechanism on the driver's door. Got the new part from the dealer. Can anyone who has done this job provide some pointers? Any tricks or things to watch out for? Better yet, have I just not found the "how to" write up on this procedure? Replacing the driver's door latch on a 2000 XJ two door with manual (not electric) locks.

It's kind of a no brainier. You might need an impact to get the TORX screws out, but I doubt it.

Just keep track of which rod goes where and you will be okay. Maybe raid your wife's/girlfriend's/ next door transvestite's supply of nail polish and mark them in different colors. But I just use masking tape and a marker to number them.

Small hands would help too.

Oh... Roll the window up before you start.

OK, so this was easier that I thought it would be. Start to finish, less than 25 minutes. Didn't even need by girlfriends smaller hands. Note to future readers: keep your other door unlocked. Once you get everything in place you may find that pushing the door button on the outside does not do anything. Don't panic. Open the door from inside, find the adjusting screw hole on the top of the latch through the kinda oval hole on the door frame, get the appropriate mm hex key and tighten the adjuster down the place where the outside door push button works well.

OK, so this was easier that I thought it would be. Start to finish, less than 25 minutes. Didn't even need by girlfriends smaller hands. Note to future readers: keep your other door unlocked. Once you get everything in place you may find that pushing the door button on the outside does not do anything. Don't panic. Open the door from inside, find the adjusting screw hole on the top of the latch through the kinda oval hole on the door frame, get the appropriate mm hex key and tighten the adjuster down the place where the outside door push button works well.
Good to know. I need to replace mine soon.

Back