• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

A for effort Tim

I tried, but I just can't seem to push a rope.

If you were as knowledgeable as you think you are, you'd have an explanation for why imy "normal" XJ shifts smoothly when I don't pause in Neutral.

If it's normal, then other XJ'S would be doing the same thing. So far I've only heard from one other XJ owner whose XJ behaves this way, and he just gave you an A for telling me it's normal, so I guess he now agrees with you, for some reason.

What I am hoping for is that someone will come along who can answer my question. In the meantime, I really have nothing better to do, so I chat with you guys...hoping you will come to your senses, eventually.

We'll you've been posting about this since November but haven't done anything recommended by the knowlegeable folks here. I don't know what more you expect.

Lol you are a riot man...

Ive said repeatedly it's probably nothing.

I didn't use any absolutes becuase im not there to see it for my self.

Gave you your options.

Explained why.. And the big if it isnt normal what would exaggerate it.

And you take it back to a tranny shop. Lol
I gave him an A for putting in the effort to try and help someone who doesnt want to be helped

Last edited:
We'll you've been posting about this since November but haven't done anything recommended by the knowlegeable folks here. I don't know what more you expect.

Just an answer to my one simple question...see Title of thread....takes about 10 seconds, and no thought.

I answered your question on Nov 9th,2018.

Lol you are a riot man...

Ive said repeatedly it's probably nothing.

I didn't use any absolutes becuase im not there to see it for my self.

Gave you your options.

Explained why.. And the big if it isnt normal what would exaggerate it.

And you take it back to a tranny shop. Lol
I gave him an A for putting in the effort to try and help someone who doesnt want ro be helped

Ah...so if I disagree with advice that means I don't want to be helped. Do you apply that same rule to yourself, or do you just always agree with all advice?

I dont seek help from tbose who know more then I, just to say they are wrong. Thats counterintuitive

"What do you tell a woman with 2 black eye's, nothing, I already told her twice"

I dont seek help from tbose who know more then I, just to say they are wrong. Thats counterintuitive

"Those who know more then I"...oh, you mean like my growing collection of experts, online and off, who disagree with each other?
Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert instead of one of the others... especially since they are professionals who have actually seen the XJ, and haven't even taken money from me when they could have, by faking a problem to "fix"?

OK, fellas..I thought that I had a lot of time on my hands, but I think I may be outclassed here. Uncle.
"Never pick a fight with anyone who buys ink by the barrel and paper by the ton". Have a good one. :)

You said "That's a lot of play in the ring/pinion"...that is not an answer to my pausing in Neutral question.

Echo echo echo

If you dont know then how do you know?

Echo echo echo

If you dont know then how do you know?

My question was: "With your XJ at a standstill, please try shifting into Drive from Reverse both WITH a pause in Neutral and WITHOUT a pause in Neutral, and let me know which gives you a smoother (even slightly) shift into Drive?"

Only three possible answers to that question:
1) "smoother with pause"
2.)"smoother without pause"
3.) neither is smoother than the other

My question was: "With your XJ at a standstill, please try shifting into Drive from Reverse both WITH a pause in Neutral and WITHOUT a pause in Neutral, and let me know which gives you a smoother (even slightly) shift into Drive?"

Only three possible answers to that question:
1) "smoother with pause"
2.)"smoother without pause"
3.) neither is smoother than the other

This has become a flamewar of course, but fwiw, some of us want to work hard to maintain XJs at their peak performance. I'm one of them. For 20 years I've put the work in to have a Jeep that works better than "it's supposed to do that, it's a 20 year old Jeep". Seems like the OP is in my ballpark. Now, he may not understand the AW4 as well as the crusty veterans (I am the original owner of my 98 AX15 so I don't know what an AX4 is supposed to do), but instead of expecting him to suck it up and deal with what he knows isn't right for his Jeep, can we stop for a sec and see what he can do to fix this?

This thread is golden, so much so that tomorrow morning I am going to do 2 tests, the first will involve my Jeep and the 2nd will involve a rope.

This has become a flamewar of course, but fwiw, some of us want to work hard to maintain XJs at their peak performance. I'm one of them. For 20 years I've put the work in to have a Jeep that works better than "it's supposed to do that, it's a 20 year old Jeep". Seems like the OP is in my ballpark. Now, he may not understand the AW4 as well as the crusty veterans (I am the original owner of my 98 AX15 so I don't know what an AX4 is supposed to do), but instead of expecting him to suck it up and deal with what he knows isn't right for his Jeep, can we stop for a sec and see what he can do to fix this?

Thanks, but it isn't even a case of my trying to optimize my XJ...I just want to solve what I consider to be a damaging problem, and I can't convince folks here that pursuing this "pause in Neutral causes the clunk lurch" is a worthwhile endeavor. To me, not pursuing it is as illogical as they feel I am being for persuing it. Stalemate.

Back