• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 front output yoke swap.

Rexj52

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to find some answers for my np231j front output yoke on my 89 xj. My jeep originally had a np242j in it and i swapped to the np231j. I went to hook up my front driveshaft and noticed that the front output on my 231 had used a strap for attaching the original driveshaft to it and my driveshaft uses bolts. Is there anyway to swap the front yoke to the correct one for my driveshaft? If so could someone help me find the correct yoke for my tcase and driveshaft?

I may be wrong here, but I've seen a popular thing to do is to convert the bolts to straps by drilling the yoke out. For you it would be far easier since it's already set up that way and you don't have to swap the yoke.

I may be wrong here, but I've seen a popular thing to do is to convert the bolts to straps by drilling the yoke out. For you it would be far easier since it's already set up that way and you don't have to swap the yoke.

That does not apply to the transfer case since it uses a double cardon joint.

Doesn't fit?

Doesn't "work", cv yokes are different than u-joint yokes as they don't use straps/bolts or u-bolts. They are threaded for a straight 5/16" bolt.

OP, you can purchase a new one easily but if you have any issues I have a spare one.

Back