• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine swap vs shop

How long should I need to prime the oil pump?

Your supposed to prime the pump/engine before you install the distributor and before you crank the motor over!

I just changed a thermostat in my 96 last week -- I did use RTV -- while putting it all back together I knocked the thermostat out of it's seat and didn't notice -- bottom bolt felt a little funny while trying to reach 15 ft/lbs -- of course it leaked

Took it apart and found I tore the gasket with the thermostat being out of position -- still drips a little -- ordered a new gasket and hoses -- gonna do a flush soon anyway

What engine did you end up using? Was it a fresh rebuild or a good used? Never had oil in it?

0cVycbj.jpg

Wire casing is peeled, but wires intact case was brittle so I electrically taped it, how should I test this as it feeds into the wiring harness?
rhAc8PW.jpg

Ckps and CPS were Mopar replacements, I removed both to avoid damage on the removal/install

Last edited:
I would work on checking out all your ground connections. Particularly to the block. All that nice paint you have applied may be messing something up. If someone like Mark could chime in on which sensors/components depend on a ground via their mounting point that might help narrow down the field of possibilities.

(Voice of experience: I had an alternator case powder coated (on an older GM rig) and it left me with a dead battery twice before I managed to figure out that the alternator wasn't charging on account of its insulation from ground. An extra chassis ground wire with a star washer took care of the problem.)

I can't tell if that is black paint on the surface, or if the camera just shows it that way.

A little attention with some 120 grit on a sanding block wouldn't hurt either way. The orange paint looks to be proud of the boss, although the compression of the bolts should have resolved that.

Thought I had a test on the ckps at 002, 003 b-c terminal but I need to verify my voltometer leads are not fudged, playing around with the leads I can get the same reading if I fiddle long enough.

Last edited:
When you crank it over and let off of the key, do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds? Also when checking spark, are you checking it at the coil or at the plug wire?

One last thing, have you tried a different coil?

Checking it at the coil, I can hear the fuel pump prime when I key on to start.
I have not tried a different coil yet, Ide like to test this one as it worked fine before I pulled the old engine.

So I have a bluetooth scanner a friend let me use. I'm showing code p0122.
Tps circuit low voltage?
Is this what us bringing on my CEL and no spark, no start?

Have you confirmed all your grounds?

I went through:
Chassis to battery
Battery to block
Harness to front and rear of block
Strap from back of stud to firewall
are clean and tight

Any further testing I'm going to need some walk through instruction as I'm very inexperienced on this electrical diagnosis side of things. Test points and exact proper multimeter settings...

I will look right now, is there anything other than visual and tightening that I should be doing?

After checking the ground on the fender, where should I look to next?

I don't know where to look next -- kinda hard to diagnose an electrical issue without being there

Maybe time to reach out to your local chapter and see if someone is close -- sometimes it just takes a second set of eyes...

Back