• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio fuse short found, ?What radio to put in?

2lazy2p

NAXJA Forum User
When I bought my heap one nagging problem that I eventually had to conquer was a short which kept blowing the Radio fuse, I tried a couple of time initally replacing the fuse but it blew seconds after turning on the key. After exposing the wiring under the dash (dash and all heater and air conditioner components removed to refurbish them) I proceeded to systematically track down the short. The service manual (two thick books) wiring diagram for the radio fuse showed a splice (A13) where all the wires from the components serviced by the fuse (located about where the steering wheel is in harness wiring), I located the splice without too much trouble and found that using the continuity mode of my voltmeter one wire was continuous with the ground. Tracking it across the front of the dash it ended in a connector to the vanity mirror light circuit behind the right visor, I removed the trim from the front of the right hand door and traced the wire to the visor, removed the visor (3 phillips screws) and EUREKA the short was caused by the edge of the visor mount pressing the wires into the metal grounding them out. I think this short had been there a long time because the former owner was "unable" to install a new radio due to the short. I repaired the wiring, replaced everything after testing and respliced "A13" and rewrapped the harness with electrical tape. I hope this helps someone who may be having a short problem, Using the service manual wiring diagrams and following the flow of the electrons even I a mier novice was able to conquer this nutdriver problem, Now, what radio would you recommend I put in?

install 4 Interco Swampers or Boggers of any size. Then you won't need a radio.

JVC or Pioneer, bluetooth for handsfree, the JVC and the Pioneer have external microphones for talking, the sony and others have them built into the face plates, the JVC also has a USB input with a 3ft tail you can mount anywhere for USB memory keys or hard drive... I use my cell and flat out love the calls coming in through the sound system.

I bought a Pioneer for a low price and had the most features with it. It really made my stock speakers sound decent.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
I bought a Pioneer for a low price and had the most features with it. It really made my stock speakers sound decent.

X2... I've always had good luck with them.

Got a Sony xplod, typical though, got it all wired in and it won't turn on. I checked, double checked against manufacturer's wiring diagram, checked voltage to connections (that should have voltage in acc and on and lead that supplies continuour 12v. Why won't the damn thing turn on. Checked grounds, fuses, there are proper voltages to the connector for the radio. Nothing happens, Have any ideas.

On my '89 the "pink" wire provides couninuous 12V service to the radio and the "orange/purple" provides 12V when the key is on or acc position. I could not get the radio to come on wired to the "pink" service, although there is 12V at the wire, however it works fine when wired directly to fuse box with slighly larger gauge wire. I guess the pink service wire does not carry the enough amperage to service the radio, I do not understand due to ignorance why, I guess I'll re wire it. Otherwise everything else works OK.

2lazy2p said:
Got a Sony xplod, typical though, got it all wired in and it won't turn on. I checked, double checked against manufacturer's wiring diagram, checked voltage to connections (that should have voltage in acc and on and lead that supplies continuour 12v. Why won't the damn thing turn on. Checked grounds, fuses, there are proper voltages to the connector for the radio. Nothing happens, Have any ideas.
I have the same radio (I'm very happy with it)! Make sure the faceplate is securely attached, and are you pushing the source button to turn it on? That is how you do it. If the faceplate isn't firmly in place, the buttons won't always work, it's happened to me a couple times.

Had the Sony Xplod. Couldn't stand that I had to flip the face down to load a CD. (lazy) Then it started to go crazy on the display so I had to push on the face to get the display to work. Bought a Pioneer(K-Mart special) sounds better to me and it has the front aux input which I can use my I-pod. I used to be the guy with the $1500 stereo and realized I liked a lift kit better. Now I run with $400 stereo including the amp, sub, and speakers. Still sounds good to me. Course it could be I've lost some hearing due to my previous stereo's. Still need the $3000 dollar home stereo though. My fiancee' is real happy to find out I paid more for my home theater system(projector included) then I did on her ring.:shhh:

Back