• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" Teraflex Budget Boost

Ten High - I run the 235/75-15's on my stock set up without any rubbing anywhere ever. Also no bottoming out the shocks. (up or down)

I'll be getting brand new tires and will be aligning anyway. It's a "new to me" Jeep and I have no idea when the last time it was done, so for the extra $50 it's getting done.

Well said not disagreeing with you on that. Found out yesterday mine is an ex-DNR rig :D so there is only about 19k miles of unknown maintenance between the DNR and me!:yelclap:

Dept of Natural Resources ? Cool! Bet it has a good maintenance record.

I'm the 3rd owner of mine. It went from a couple, to their daughter, to me. It needed a water pump, but otherwise well taken care of. It's bare bones. It does't even have a trip odometer! The only thing I'm really worried about is the rear wiper. I'm going to have to retrofit one. I hope all the wiring is already there!

don't know about that mine is a 97+ thank god they ordered it optioned out decently. The only thing i wish it had is the up-country package

Brief update:

The teraflex kit arrived today. I took some quick measurements before it got dark.

The front sits at 16-3/4" & the rear at 17". Both measurements are from the center of the wheel to the fender flare.

I'm going to search the forums now, but do those numbers sound right?

After doing some research I found the front should be anywhere between 17" and 17-1/2" and the rear should be at 17". So I'm pretty well matched up to a stock height meaning my springs are in decent condition for the time being. My guess is that the extra weight of the snow plow frame (not the plow blade) accounts for the 1/4" - 3/4" sag in the front. (It's got to weigh over 100lbs.)

I'm going to leave the existing 1/2" stock rubber spacer in there when installing the teraflex coil spacers. This should give me the extra bump in front end height to bring me back to the stock front to rear ratio.

BTW the measurments where taken from the hub center to the bottom of the fender flare. Some people refer to them as "H2F" measurments.

Well it looks like i'm gonna have time to finish my BB. Orders have dropped at work so now we are working 4 days a week! time to get a part time job at an auto parts store! :D

I'm going to leave the existing 1/2" stock rubber spacer in there when installing the teraflex coil spacers. This should give me the extra bump in front end height to bring me back to the stock front to rear ratio.

good idea. i didn't do that the first time around and thus didn't get the full lift. i pulled the springs back out and put the o.e. spacer back in, got the full 2" that time.

Sorry to hear about work. There are cut-backs everwhere. It's kinda scary. Actually it's a lot scary, but at least you have more time to work on your XJ;-)

I read about that OE spacer and was immediately relieved about the 1/4" difference. I'm now hoping I can fit 31's.

(Man this IS a sickness !)

31s will fit.

Since you don't plan on disconecting the sway bar, you shouldn't have too much trouble with interference, bump-stopping, or over extending the shocks.

Sorry to hear about work. There are cut-backs everwhere. It's kinda scary. Actually it's a lot scary, but at least you have more time to work on your XJ;-)

I read about that OE spacer and was immediately relieved about the 1/4" difference. I'm now hoping I can fit 31's.

(Man this IS a sickness !)

Yeah and i'm also buying an 88 Coupe Deville for 200 bucks. Once i fix the brake line on it I will scoot around town in it :D

2 vehicles to work on Woohoo!

UPDATE - Did the install today. 2" spacers up front. I left the stock rubber spacer in there as well. Teraflex spacer on top, OEM spacer on bottom.

I had to extend the upper spring mount down for use with the Air Lift load support bag that I was installing as well. I couldn't do the hockey puck trick because the fill stub of the air bag must go down through the lower spring mount, which gets drilled out. I used 1" galvanized pipe for the extension. It fit up inside the bump stop holder. I did have to tap the hole that was in the bottom of the upper spring mount. The pipe spacer was 2-1/2" long. I used an M10-1.50 X 100mm bolt and some 9/16" fender washers to mount it. I also used some plastic caps to cover the bolt head, and protect the bag.

The rear shackle install was straightforward and went according to installation instructions. The tail pipe did have slight interference as expected.

Currently I'm still running 235-75-15's, but plan on 31's in the near future.

After a brief run around town, including speed bumps - this is what I found:

Stock Shocks seem to be fine. I did not bottom out the shock. First a slow trip over a speed bump, then one at about 10pmh.

No rubbing at full steering lock under slow conditions, or at 10mph and then braking hard.

Both conditions above were tested with and without the plow mounted.

Measurements (H2F)

Before
Front - 16-3/4"
Rear - 17"

After
Front - 19-1/8"
Rear - 19"

Minimum pressure in air bag must stay above 5 psi. Measurements above are with that pressure.

When the plow is mounted, and raised, the front end sags down to 18-5/8" with 5 psi in the bag. Increase pressure to 60 psi (bag is rated for 100) and I'm back to 19-1/8".

This seems to work great. The ride is not great, but it's no worse than what it was pre-lift and support.

Back