• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie Rod Roll/Death Wobble with 1 ton Ironman4x4fab steering...

ChuckQue

NAXJA Forum User
Backstory: had the Ironman4x4fab one ton steering system, steering brace, track bar, track bar cross brace, track bar drop bracket and sway bar drop installed along with the adjustable short arms, adjustable rear shackles and relocation bracket. Everything was awesome, steering was tight with zero issues. That was in March.

A little over a month ago I had a shop install the Advanced Adaptor SYE with an Adam’s driveshaft and set my pinion angle. While he had it up on the rack I asked him to do the oil pan gasket. He had to drop the track bar cross brace in order to clear the pan which meant undoing the track bar as well. Picked up the Jeep and everything was good. I didn’t notice any issues with steering.

Recently, noticed a shimmy in the front end on the freeway. Thought maybe my alignment was off so I had it done. No change. Then it progressed to slight death wobble on the freeway. Now it’s bad.

Track bar and drag link are aligned, caster is done correctly, ball joints are barely a year old. Thought maybe my u-joints were going, but when I had the wife work the steering back and forth while I watched I saw what looked to me like serious tie rod roll. Attached is a video.

Backstory: had the Ironman4x4fab one ton steering system, steering brace, track bar, track bar cross brace, track bar drop bracket and sway bar drop installed along with the adjustable short arms, adjustable rear shackles and relocation bracket. Everything was awesome, steering was tight with zero issues. That was in March.

A little over a month ago I had a shop install the Advanced Adaptor SYE with an Adam’s driveshaft and set my pinion angle. While he had it up on the rack I asked him to do the oil pan gasket. He had to drop the track bar cross brace in order to clear the pan which meant undoing the track bar as well. Picked up the Jeep and everything was good. I didn’t notice any issues with steering.

Recently, noticed a shimmy in the front end on the freeway. Thought maybe my alignment was off so I had it done. No change. Then it progressed to slight death wobble on the freeway. Now it’s bad.

Track bar and drag link are aligned, caster is done correctly, ball joints are barely a year old. Thought maybe my u-joints were going, but when I had the wife work the steering back and forth while I watched I saw what looked to me like serious tie rod roll. I have a video I’ll try to attach it in another post below.

Why would this not be an issue before and suddenly now be one? I’m out of my league here and need help. I emailed Andy at Ironman as well.

Yeah, that's the problem with the inverted T set-up!

With DW, it could be many things. I did have DW and it took me a year or so to figure it out.
It ended up being a cracked frame. I did have one of my TREs loose in the taper. I do have a WJ Big Brake upgrade. I went with the Ruffstuff 1-ton GM cross over steering. On one XJ, I have the Rusty's OTK track bar.
On my newest I have the Stinky Fab setup and Ruffstuff 1-ton. I just drove it in to work today. It tracks straight and is actually a bit stiff to steer. I do not have a steering stabilizer on it yet.

Spoke with Andy at Ironman earlier today. Dude never fails to deliver awesome customer service, taking time to answer all my questions no matter how dumb they might be. Hopefully I get this figured out this week.

75 whys it need a stabalizer

Stinky fab has boots that take up some the tie rod roll

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

75 whys it need a stabalizer

Stinky fab has boots that take up some the tie rod roll

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I will tell you with Cross Over steering its more of a Security Blanket. When I first went with Cross Over Steering, I ran without the Steering Stabilizer. It drove great. Then I had DW. So, I installed the stabilizer. Can't say it helped it helped much. Also, initially it stiffened the steering. Didn't really like that. After a while, either it loosed up a bit, or I got used to it.
I've only driven my 'New' one, about 3-4 times on the open road. Also, only 3 times with the Bad Dad Fab bumper and swaybar attached. It really like it. It tracks straight at 55 mpg. A bit firm steering. It seems to want to stay on center. I think that's a good thing. So, I have no real reason to run a Steering stabilizer on a 'true' cross over steering. I do have mine under. I do not notice any Ackermann effect.
Also, the OP might look for the "Cure'. Its a polyurethane washer that goes in the Y link. I think Kevin's Off-road. ??

Yeah, so when I ordered the kit from Andy I added on his version of the anti roll washers. Looking at the video, I don’t see those washers...I’m wondering if the place that did the install forgot to put them on...

I do intend on adding a stabilizer but not as a fix for the DW. Something is clearly wrong and I need to address that first.

Back