• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Head Off Road cowl intake initial startup & pics

bajabronco

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I installed a THOR cowl intake on my 2000XJ since I have modified my inner fenders and could not use the stock air box, as well as I wanted as much cold air going to my engine as possible.

IMG_0254%201_zpsoyvsvqg0.jpg

Works well with my modded inner fenders

IMG_0253%201_zpsrypx8imz.jpg

IMG_0252%201_zpsgaajmnix.jpg

Here is a video of the initial startup - It is definitely loud on startup, then quiets down after a min. When driving around you hear a hissing sound, but it does not seem too bad. I have a 1000 mile trip this next week, I'll tell you my thoughts about the sound, and if I even notice it, after the trip.

Initial Startup of THOR cowl intake

Thought I would do a follow up of the THOR Intake after my 1000 mile road trip and wheeling the Rubicon. First performance. I could definitely feel the help in performance with the engine being able to suck the cooler air from the cowl vs inside the engine bay. It seemed to really help out when I was heading up long hills where the engine generates lots of heat. The engine would traditionally bog way down ( I have a heavy rig on 37's!) but with the intake it seemed to pull stronger, and the tranny did not have to kick down as soon. It seemed I was also able to maintain 70-75mph easier on the flat sections between Sacramento and Los Angeles when the outside temp was in the 100+ degrees.
That being said, it is a LOUD intake. Not only do you hear the sucking sound of the cone filter, but the actual engine noise inside the cab is substantially louder. The noise that I use to equate with really laying into the engine, was just the regular cab noise at 2200 RPM, and then when I would really lay into it, - downshifting to 3000+RPM's - it is LOUD in the cab. Since this is my wheeling rig, I gladly pay the price for the louder interior for the gain in performance. - I just turned my radio up!

Michael, it is a custom box built by my friend Dennis. I’ll dig up some more pics and post them when I get a chance.

Michael, it is a custom box built by my friend Dennis. I’ll dig up some more pics and post them when I get a chance.

Im very intrigued with that battery tray as well. What are the pros and cons of having it like that? I’d imagine more room to the side?

Back