• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best thing to line floor with.

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
I'm finally giving up and losing the carpet.
Looking for suggestions on what coating to use.
I'd like something that is thick enough to cover seams and offer some heat protection.
Was considering spray-on restproofing/undercoating but it's too soft; will wear out under feet.
Bed liner goes on pretty thin and would be expensive to just add coat over coat to build up.
Anyone ever try that trunk liner that used to come on cars? You know, the black stuff with white speckles in it?
Other ideas?

There is a product out there called "Noize killer" which is durable enough to go under the floor (i.e. outside). Supposed to be good for heat and noise.

Never used it but it is on the short list for the YJ project. Google should find it.

There was also another product that looked similar that was discussed here in the last few months (wanna say Xmas timeframe). Sounded like it would work well as well.

kid4lyf said:
I saw the thread about this stuff. Looks interesting.
I don't think it goes on very thick though. Kinda pricy too.
Search for a thread someplace in between Jul 04 and October 04. There was discussion there about this paint that had ceramic particles in it: it was specifically made for heat (and it actually had some sort of a rating showing it's effectiveness) and sound. You'd want to coat with that and then with herculiner, linex or something like that on top of that.

spray on bed liner, at wally world in a spray paint can, its rubber shit like 6$ a can, works great last very long and is cheap...( i say lasts long like a year or so, depends on how offent u drive it etc et...

LiftedWood85 said:
spray on bed liner, at wally world in a spray paint can, its rubber shit like 6$ a can, works great last very long and is cheap...( i say lasts long like a year or so, depends on how offent u drive it etc et...
You mean duplicolor? that stuff sucks and doesn't last no matter how much prep do you. Plus even stuff like LineX or Herculiner will not keep the heat out. For that you need actuall heat isolation type paint.

Thanks Remi, this stuff looks interesting:
http://www.hytechsales.com/insulating_paint_additives.html
It's the ceramic additive, separate from the paint. You add it to your own paint to get the heat shielding properties.
Perhaps mixing this stuff with Rhino or Herculiner would be the way to go.
Anyone tried it?

kid4lyf said:
Thanks Remi, this stuff looks interesting:
http://www.hytechsales.com/insulating_paint_additives.html
It's the ceramic additive, separate from the paint. You add it to your own paint to get the heat shielding properties.
Perhaps mixing this stuff with Rhino or Herculiner would be the way to go.
Anyone tried it?

Good enough for NASA = good enough for Cabo Engineering???

Dirk Pitt said:
Good enough for NASA = good enough for Cabo Engineering???
We'll see.

BTW Adam, I hear WF was a complete hit.
Wish I could have made it.
Great job.

I've used the Edesign crap before on a previous car, and i have the SecondSkin Spectrum Sludge on the jeep right now...........but both were used to compliment audio installs, so the carpet went right back in over top of it

imo, neither one would be durable enough to use in place of the carpet

FWIW, I plan to replace carpet with the Vinyl replacement this summer. IMO, it would be just a little easier to clean than Rhino, and easy on the wallet. I haven't decided on adding a sound deadening layer though. God knows I can hear every squeak, creak, and rattle as it is.

Back