• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator upgrade?

Thatguy1

NAXJA Forum User
On the fence about upgrading my alt to a 130A but the stock puts out 117-120 depending on what one you buy.
My build don’t include a winch or a lot of lights but definitely going to upgrade the wiring. Rig will mostly be a pavement pounder and weekend camper. I guess my question is will going bigger be better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sounds like a negligible upgrade you won't be using.

If you may add a second battery to run a fridge or winch down the road, then get all you can.

If you are going to spend the time to upgrade your alt, you should look into the 160A Dodge Durango Alt upgrade. It takes a little more work, but you get a higher output alt. I swapped in a 160A alternator out of a 2002 5.9L Dodge Durango in my 2000 XJ. Grinding of the stock bracket is needed, opening up the positive lead wire to fit the bigger stud, and I used the XJ pulley. The XJ pulley is slightly smaller=more output at lower RPM’s. Other than that it is plug and play! I did the swap the hard way, leaving the bracket on the truck, fitting, grinding, over and over. I t would be MUCH easier to just pull the bracket off and bench fit it.

better, meh. I went 136 once my other alt took a nap. I already upgraded wiring before this to, however ive added a breaker.

I wouldnt call it better, but it may be easier on the system when or if your need to draw some serious amperage ie winching.

136/160 is all the same for what has to be done really. I think another way of looking at things when building them up is, are they how they should be. If you upgrade, you do it right to fit the application of the upgrade. Is it better, maybe, but if its done right, its how its supposed to be. Kinda like it left the factory that way. Build it to compliment your vehicles purposes.

I’m definitely relocating to the top. I hacked off the mechanical fan bits and just waiting on the adapter to show up
c0afe620637150bf1f8beae6faa1bee5.jpg

top mounted alt. I like it. gets it up out of the water/mud

was going to mention you can't fit one much bigger than stock in current location...

Yep my ac was trash and I said why not. So for now I’ll be running a high mount stock alt until the need for a bigger one. Thanks guys your so helpful.

Just remember those "amps" cost you "HP" plain and simple!

So you need 32hp to make 130amps?

Evidently you not very good at math. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Evidently you not very good at math. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

You need 130 AMPS from your alternator if you are using plenty of equipment that are electricity/AMP hungry. My 180 AMP alternator put out about 70 AMP to run the dual electric fans and the AC (after the fans have ramped up to speed). With no accessories on, the demands are a measly 25 AMPS resulting on less load on the engine.

A larger alternator is like a garden hose in your favorite cold drink. Yes, the hose is capable of passing several gallons of your drink per minute but will only pass as much as you desire. A trickle of energy/drink do not require a huge amount of force to keep every thing satisfied.

It is 25 amps for 1 Hp - so 6hp to make 150 amps. I upgraded my Alt to the 160A specifically to help handle loads in long winching situations. Heavy winching with the upgraded motor on my Warn 8274 pulls almost 500Amps.

Back