• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Issue with a 99 xj 2dr hinge pin

Submariner

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 2dr hinge is worn out. open the door and it drops about 1" or more. So I took it apart Had to cut it pin in half to get it out.

now for the problem. the pin is not worn but the hinge itself is worn.
So I have about .250 sloop around the pin and the hinge that is welded to the jeep.

I would post a picture but I am not allowed yet.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Easiest would be to weld up the hinge and re-drill it. I would add a bushing while I was in there.

Locate an oversized hardened pin, then drill and ream the hinge to fit the pin. Or, fit a bushing and buy a pin to fit the bushing ID size.

Locate an oversized hardened pin, then drill and ream the hinge to fit the pin. Or, fit a bushing and buy a pin to fit the bushing ID size.

followed your advice, Drilled out the hinge part that goes on the door to fit a grade 8 bolt that has a smooth shaft that is long enough to go thru the hinge. Had it in my spare bolt can, LOL redneck. then once placed in place, I tack welded the bolt to the hinge that is welded to the body. Nice tight fit, Whne tha wears out in 10 years I will worry about how I will fix it then.

Back