• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Postal Right Hand Drive Pics

right hand drive cherokee's are awesome, i've seen some on ebay that are imported from china that are factory RHD for postal routes here, but they are limited models with leather, up-country group, alot of nice things for just a postal route.

Would be difficult to drive having the gauges and everything on the other side.

And I'm not sure if I'd trust that thing for DD considering all it would take is for that belt to snap before you lose steering.

They added hood vents. Apparetly the cooling system wasn't up to spec for all of the slow driving it did hah.

Right hand drives are not imported,there are tons of them out there.Parts are readily available at your local dealer.We probably have over a 100 of them(XJ's and TJ's)!
BTW: Im talking about the real thing not some stupid conversion!

Last edited:
I can't believe a contraption like that is legal in the USA when actual RHD XJs made by Jeep for export cannot be reimported due to safety reasons.

Only the LHD export models are considered similar and are on the NHTSA 'OK' list because they are considered safe. The RHD models have to go through an expensive petition process by a registered importer that costs more than the value of the vehicle.

The VIN number from a RHD XJ that was built by the factory for use in the USA would provide proof that the results of the manufacturer's own crash testing of the RHD model concluded that RHD XJs are as safe as LHD models. Jeep cannot produce a RHD anything for use in the USA unless they formally state to the NHTSA that the RHD models are equivalent. For some reason this statement has never been communicated to the NHTSA (as far as I know) concerning RHD XJs otherwise they would be on the OK to import list.

I would like to permanently import my XJ this year and keep it in Utah.
If your place of work has bonafide RHD XJs, I would really like to speak to the person that bought them or the person that supplied them. The VIN(s) are really all I need as evidence for the NHTSA.

RHD.jpg

As stated above our RH drives are not imported. My neighbor has one for mail service, he is the 2nd owner & it has never been out of the state let alone the country. JIM.

I saw one of those conversions a while ago. I think I even posted a picture. But the one I saw still at least had the left hand steering wheel installed, so that it could be driven normally between deliveries. As a postal Jeep the conversion is probably not too bad, and beats driving half in and half out of the driver's seat, as many mail carriers do when they use conventional cars, but the one shown here is scary.

As mentioned by others, true US model RHD postal XJ's are not excessively rare. They show up for sale from time to time, although usually they're pretty well flogged after finishing their postal career. My local mail man was so concerned after the discontinuation of the XJ that he bought another one from somewhere down south a couple of years ago to have in reserve. I notice he's started using it now.

We have a bunch of either factory or converted RHD XJ's around here. The "rural postal route" peeps love them and they are the vehicle of choice.

Vince said:
I can't believe a contraption like that is legal in the USA when actual RHD XJs made by Jeep for export cannot be reimported due to safety reasons.
they are very legal. their are 3-4 companies that sell that conversion for about 20 models of different vehicles and they cater to the rural postal carrier. they retail for around 2000 dollars not including installation. and i believe they just came out with a :new: model for the liberty/ wrangler. mike

I see a lot of them used in mail routes that are original RHD. There was even a RHD that got crushed locally at the pick-n-pull that was just owned by a regular person who drove it RHD. Everything was backwards, it was real odd to sit in. I thought the steering stuff was odd how it was upside down & would work well for a TRE flip.

Back