• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

prerunner/ jeepspeed build ideas...

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 cherokee that I love but would love to go fast and get some air time... I know some of what I need to do this but here is what I have so far... I have an re short arm kit with re 4.5" springs up front and aal and shackles out back with a bb to a total of about 6". I run a d44 out back and have some 33s. now here is where the fun begins...

I was thinking of going with the foa adjustable shocks with remote res all the way around(but what size???)

some hydro bumps( I was thinking the foa 4" possibly..??)

some new springs out back, but what ones. I know the deavers are sweet but they are spendy and this will be a daily driver and wheeling and sometimes pulling a 3 place motorcycle trailer so what other springs could I use?

I know frame stiffners and truss the axles

I know long arms are best but could I use some drop brackets and brace them up instead(im on a budget)?

Thats all I can think of right noww.
This wont happen really soon I just need a goal to slowly build to but thanks guys

It is really not that nice looking up close ha ha

Solid axle rigs are really not that greatly suited to be doing that prerunner type stuff. It would take a lot of work to get these things to really take the jumps like a champ. I'd build up a ranger or something like that with IFS, but if you do decide to try and make your jeep competent I'd defiantly be trussing the hell out of my axles and planning on installing a roll cage.

I'm running FOA 10s up front limit strapped and 16's in the rear resevoirs which i like alot. Think about trussing and gusseting the axles definatly run air bumps im getting the FOA 2.5 bumps also all around. Im running rubicon leafs for now till i can get deavers in the future. You'll defintaly want deaver coil springs.

We are actually planning an I beam ranger build but I want to wheel and go fast and daily drive one vehicle. So with 5 to 6 inches of lift would the 10s and 16 inch shocks be ok? I don't plan on racing this so rules are not a priority. I plan a cage. So what about drop brackets?

oo7ravisXJ said:
Solid axle rigs are really not that greatly suited to be doing that prerunner type stuff. It would take a lot of work to get these things to really take the jumps like a champ. I'd build up a ranger or something like that with IFS, but if you do decide to try and make your jeep competent I'd defiantly be trussing the hell out of my axles and planning on installing a roll cage.

Watch a Jeepspeed race. SFA rigs do just fine.

i've seen other xj's get built for jeepspeed. there's a few on pirate. basically they did what's already been said. a really good roll cage, air shocks, bump stops, limit straps, etc. i think one of the one's on pirate is actually a 2wd... :huh:

Start with TnT frame stifeners tied to Lafortune's front frame plates, he offers two different thickness' depending on what you want (http://www.temper-mentalracing.net/services.htm). after the "frame" is taken care of then go to the other stuff. Depending how hard you beat it and jump it you will tear it apart.

Then go to axle trussing and shocks. The 16's Craig has are run through the floor to a shock hoop and 16's are perfect because you get alot more fluid to help with cooling. Don't look at just wheel travel in the back if using a hoop. Bigger is better. Other than that.....you are off to a good start and DB's will workk fine for now.

oo7ravisXJ said:

ORLY :rolleyes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RfS9zdVjGh4

Any good pics or links to a mild shock hoop in the rear? I still would like to have it sealed and be able to sleep in the back. Thanks guys

oo7ravisXJ said:
I'm pretty sure they put "a lot of work" into those rigs to get them "to really take the jumps like a champ." :rolleyes:
wow, novel concept. You mean you can drive a ranger or other ifs rig right off the showroom and boost airs all day with little to no work? Have you priced out the cost and fab involved in a long travel kit for an ifs rig, even more $$ for a functional 4wd? They may have a more suited platform to start with but the amount of work and $$ to make and it stay together would be close to doubled that of a cherokee.

Carry on

If you plan to run in jeepspeed then you better FIRST check there rules and regulations. They have some pretty crazy rules that you wil need to follow to run. So before you start cutting things up because you will you better get with them on the regulations ......

Yeah you defiantly want some drop brackets if going with a short arm kit but you will need to do some reinforcing of them, Skyjacker has some good beefy lower brackets that most jeepspeeders use but you could use the rubicon or rough country drop brackets and just reinforce them. Me I welded instead of bolting them and added double plating to each side, really solid.

You will find that there are alot of 2wd jeepspeeders than you think. Just lock the rear. x2 on frame stiffners and front frame plates. The more reading and research you do the more you will know what you need

oo7ravisXJ said:
I'm pretty sure they put "a lot of work" into those rigs to get them "to really take the jumps like a champ." :rolleyes:

and you wouldn't have to put "a lot of work" into a ranger to do the same thing? :spin1:

oo7ravisXJ said:
Thank you for making my point.

I think you forgot the rest of his sentance....

"but the amount of work and $$ to make and it stay together would be close to doubled that of a cherokee.

Carry on
"

Better platform to start with, but way more cash to get to work as well....so it kind of depends......

Also, i can remember the last time I saw a ranger go chase out in the desert, and then go climb rocks in big bear.....Also, check how many miles people have here on their stock engines and trannies...you will find many jeeps with 200k plus! Still running strong

Back