• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ls swap into 2001 xj

Lanser1999

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hello, I’m not sure if this is the right spot for it but I’m trying to get a list together for the basics that are required for an LS swap into an xj to help myself and everyone else looking to eventually do this swap. As far as is have found, it seems the easiest way to go is Novak motor mounts and exhaust, that I am willing to spend. With that being said I would like to keep the rest of the swap as simple and wallet friendly as possible. What transfer case is usually transferred in? Does it need an adapter plate? As far as the engine wiring goes do you use two harness in your jeep or merge the two into the ls harness? Are aftermarket gauges usually the way to go? Any other issues that will arrise please let me know because I am trying to educate myself on this swap.

The transfer case is going to depend on what transmission your planning on using. You can get a trans adapter for the AW4. Do you have to deal with emissions?

I don’t necessarily need emissions, depends on what route I go if I went LS (either 5.3 or 6.0) I would pair it to a 4l60e/4l80e, however if a different trans is doable and a lot less hassle I would go that route.

If your going emission's then you have to use the same trans that came with the donor vehicle. I did a LS1 swap and all emission's CA legal through a referee. I pulled all wiring from cherokee ecu and running only LS1 computer with new gauges. using 231 transfer case with adapter plate from novak too.
No emissions is heck of a lot easier but I didn't want to get a fat ticket for crossing a road with a green sticker. Motor and Trans came from a 2001 Camaro SS.

If your going emission's then you have to use the same trans that came with the donor vehicle. I did a LS1 swap and all emission's CA legal through a referee. I pulled all wiring from cherokee ecu and running only LS1 computer with new gauges. using 231 transfer case with adapter plate from novak too.
No emissions is heck of a lot easier but I didn't want to get a fat ticket for crossing a road with a green sticker. Motor and Trans came from a 2001 Camaro SS.

Is the 4l60e/4l80e swap hard or is it not bad as long as you keep the wiring harness/pcm/Tcm for the trans kept with the originally trans from the swap?

I also was thinking about pairing a 231c to the 4l60e and getting an SYE for the 231c? Is this the best option to retain the VSS on the transfer case?

the trans swap is pretty easy, just bolt it to the motor before you put it in the cherokee. If I have time after work today i'll take some pictures. just want to plan everything out first before you start.

I'm curious as to your objective, that's a lot of work and cost.

I’m just trying to figure out the easiest way to have a transfer case with vss, I currently have a 231j with an sye kit.

I assume you have the super short kit which is still easily adaptable to your current set-up.

I assume you have the super short kit which is still easily adaptable to your current set-up.

I am not sure as to what SYE kit I have, it came with the jeep. However, wouldn’t I need an SYE that has a spot for a vss or what is usually done as far as that?

So here’s what I’m thinking:

5.3 with 4l60e and I will rework the harness and send in my pcm to disable VATS

I’m thinking of getting a np231c from a 88-97 s10 with the factory adapter that should bolt up to the 4l60e (27 spline?). I am thinking I’ll get the jb conversions SYE that has the VSS in the housing.

I think I’m going to get Novak headers and motor mounts and a 22x19x3 aluminum radiator.

Is there anything else anyone can think of that I will need?

Sounds like you need to do some more reading. There are at least 5 LS swap threads on NAXJA, mine included.

P.s. I wouldn't use the 22x19 radiator.

Can I pm you. Seems like everyone goes different routes and no one seems to say which is best. As far as me needing to do more reading what would that be in regards to.

Can I pm you. Seems like everyone goes different routes and no one seems to say which is best. As far as me needing to do more reading what would that be in regards to.

Everyone goes different directions for different reasons. There isn't one "best" way. I know of a least 5 LS swap threads on this forum that I read through before I started mine. I read through the ENTIRE LS swap thread on Pirate4x4. I read through a TON of swap threads on LS1Tech. I pretty much had it all planned out before I started (and here we are 4 years later and its still not done !!!1)

With trying to do this on a budget you'll want to do more research on where you can cut the fat and get things done cheaper.

Back