• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disc Brake Conversion

Jeep839

NAXJA Forum User
i have seen many threads this topic but not one is clear so the question is i would like to know if tsm's kits are worth it for a reardrum to disc conversion kit. i am really looking for like a good bolt on kit that would be good and if you think that the bolt on kits are no good and welding is really a necessity. please help on the topic my brakes really suck...

TSM kits are pretty expensive for my taste. It looks like it would be about $630 plus shipping by the time every thing was said and done. I’d bet that you can get a Ford 8.8 with disk brakes under your Jeep for cheaper than that and it would be a stronger rear end to boot.

Or you can use all jeep parts from a ZJ on to a 35, if you have an 8.25 same thing, OR you could find a newer liberty and swap it's factocy equipped 8.25 disc brake rear in. No welding required and you don't have to remember 'is that an 81 or 83 caddy disc and ford pads' or was it 'caddy pads and ford discs'...

Definately do the Grand Cherokee Conversion vs buying a kit. I spent less than $150 doing mine and it only took me a Saturday. (Included removing the hardware at the boneyard, grinding the caliper brackets for my 8.25 and install).

All bolt on and works great

Hey Y'all, I dont think I've ever posted here before, just in the S.E. Chapter forums.
I have a 35 in my '98 ZJ that is howling and I want to swap in the 8.25 from my XJ when I get my waggy 44's finished for it.
Originally posted by: natep1
Definately do the Grand Cherokee Conversion vs buying a kit. I spent less than $150 doing mine and it only took me a Saturday. (Included removing the hardware at the boneyard, grinding the caliper brackets for my 8.25 and install).

All bolt on and works great
Will the 35 parts bolt onto the 8.25.?

I am going to use the TSM kit on my J-10 rear 44 and the one going in my XJ.. I got a qoute of less than $300 for the kit, add some cheap Chev calipers and pads and its still around $300. I would much rather use ZJ parts on my XJ for obvious reasons and I am considering making the full size Jeep axles accept the ZJ disc brakes. I have seen the TSM kits on a few full size Jeep 44's and I'm told they work great.

RichP said:
Or you can use all jeep parts from a ZJ on to a 35, if you have an 8.25 same thing, OR you could find a newer liberty and swap it's factocy equipped 8.25 disc brake rear in. No welding required...
Well, he would have to weld on spring perches, unless he's doing a rear coil conversion at the same time (KJ 8.25 is set up for coils)
Also some people have used the TeraFlex rear disc conversion with good results and I think I've heard it retails around $400.

I run the TSM setup on my D44. 1. its expensive. 2. for smaller axles, the caddy calipers e-brake just plain sucks (D60 and larger kits use 1978 caddy calipers which work great -- D44 uses 1979, which suck). 3. I've had some really marginal customer service from TSM, even though I'm local -- regarding their supplying the wrong caliper spacers...

If I had it to do over I would definately adapt some 8.8 or ZJ stuff.

rcasey said:
Will the 35 parts bolt onto the 8.25.?
The brakes will with a little work. When I did mine, I had to grind out the axle tube opening on the caliper mounting brackets to fit and, you would also need to open up the backing plate if you keep the e-brake. I used a dremmel on mine and a carbide cutter to clean mine up. Took about an hour each side but, you don't have to remove much material. The test fitting is the PIA. Probably do it in a few minutes if you are/know a machinst.

Well the biggest problem I see with the Liberty axle conversion is the liberty only runs 3.73 or 4.10 gears. No 3.55 so unless you've got a 4 cyl or 2wd you'll have to regear one of the axles and that shoots out the whole easy/direct swap.

Jeep839 said:
ok so in my situation everyone think that my best bet would be to get all of the ZJ parts for my dana 35 and that would just bolt on??
Yes on all. Best price if you find one in a junk yard and by far the easiest to find parts for.

Here's what I've found is not 'bolt on' moving zj brakes to an xj d35:

Lug bolts need to be longer since disc is thicker than drum. Longer studs
are available at dealer.

Need mounting bracket for the junction between the caliper flex line
and the hard line. Also need to bend the hard line to fit, or make a new
one.

E-brake cable will need to be adapted to work with discs.

Hope that helps
Dave

Jeep839 said:
if i remember correctly the ZJ is a grand not a liberty right???

ZJ is a 93-98 Grand Cherokee. 4 wheel discs came standard in 1996 and the 94-95 Limiteds had them.

WJ is the 99-2004 Grand Cherokee and is an entirely diff beast.

:cheers:

T

i have a M35/194mm with a 3.55 ratio tube #'s 12602A and 6054431. from that info can you tell weather or not i have c clips. So with that said it almost looks as if to get all the parts together and adjust everything from a ZJ to fit, would almost be more work then to just buy a kit from Stainless Steel Brakes Corp. or TSM does anyone disagree?? O and the M in my axle that means military right and if so does that mean that it is stronger and another question everyone talks so bad about the dana 35 how it is so week i beat the shit out of mine and i have not had any problems , note i run 31x10.5 BFG muds on 15x7 AR's so why would i want to upgrade my axle please help??

Jeep839 said:
everyone talks so bad about the dana 35 how it is so week i beat the shit out of mine and i have not had any problems , note i run 31x10.5 BFG muds on 15x7 AR's so why would i want to upgrade my axle please help??
yoiu are bloody lucky that sucker hasn't grenaded on you yet. if you are really so hard on it, then its probably going to go any day now :)
my 2 cents: d35 is weak as a stock axle with stock tires. if you run anything larger and make it work hard you will hear a loud snap on a hill one day and see your entire wheel and axle come sliding out of the axletube onto the ground on account of the breakage at teh carrier and the c-clip being the only thing holding the axle . i speak from experience as do the hundreds of others who have had the snappy problem with the D35. the axleshafts are weak in a weak design.
If you want to keep it, hey go right ahead, its your jeep and your money...
the ZJ brake conversion is easiest and cheapest for you. its a bit more work with an 8.25, but only cause the backing plate needs to be honed out to fit over the 8.25's larger axle tube.

I've heard good about the 8.25 here on NAXJA. I know its not the strongest but people say its as strong as the LP D44 in the Rubicon...or maybe I'm thinking of the HP D30 being as strong as the LP D44...

island xj didn't mean to knock on anyone just wondering. but ok so people are saying that i can just swap out my 35 and put in a ZJ 8.25 right?? So the question is then what ZJ year would i want, do the gears i have in my 35 fit in the 8.25, does the mounts for the shocks fit and is the axle the same length which would make the mounting points for the leafs the same. please help bc i might just put this 8.25 in my jeep and then i would get the brakes and the good axle. So if this is good what is the axle name for instance i have a Dana 35 what is the Zj a Dana 8.25?

Back