• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE long arms as a "kit"??

jeepdreamer

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know if RE (or one of their vendors/distributors) sells just their long arm portion of their kit including the cross member? I see on their site where they sell both upper and lower arms for the kit but nothing about the cross member? Is it needed or can the LAs be run using the factory mounts (doubt it).?

Zoinks! That's a lot more than you LA kit! And it still has to be shipped. So much for trying to find a way to ship several boxes of a LA kit. :( Somewhere I must have pissed off the Jeep Gods. :I

I'd really appreciate it. Maybe if it ships in several smaller boxes it won't be so bad. :) That damn itch to lift is killing me now. Thanks for the help sir!

Hadn't really thought about them but do you think I could run the stock control arms and use RE's drop brackets as a temp/less expensive alternative? I have no experience with these and as long as installing them doesn't effect a later upgrade to LAs, I could at least resell them. Ideas?

Stock arms are very weak. If your wheeling is to the point that you need long arms or drop brakets... You might want to look for a deal on arms in your local chapter, or just hold out for long arms.

Yup... I understand that the factor arms are weak. My intent is to build this with upgraded parts as I can. But for me the biggest hassle is being in Germany. Very few vendors will even ship stuff to a military APO address. And since that operates via USPS (worthless) the shipping is stupid expensive. It's looking like I will sit at between 4 1/2 to 5 inches of lift once the springs are added to the ACOS. I want to go with LAs for the improved ride and flex since I have to get arms anyway. But... due to the above mentioned reasons I am just trying to find a short term fix. Note* This XJ will see ZERO off roading until I get it back to the states. Nada. All it is for is to scoot me around the base here and give me a platform to bolt/store a bunch of my junk to come back home with that won't fit in my house hold goods.

There a a few vendors out there offering quality systems cheaper than RE. I'm partial to Clayton.

Have you considered having a friend stateside mail it to you?

Another option would be building... Have you considered just buying heims and fabbings something up? Don't most bases have like, a hobby shop you can use?

There a a few vendors out there offering quality systems cheaper than RE. I'm partial to Clayton.

Have you considered having a friend stateside mail it to you?

Another option would be building... Have you considered just buying heims and fabbings something up? Don't most bases have like, a hobby shop you can use?

Yes, thankfully there are a few that have been helping me...Serious off road and JCR have been tops! SOR is where I have gotten most of my stuff so far. I even hope to run his long arm conversion but it sounds like it will be to costly to ship here due to its weight..maybe. And dollars for doughnuts, I think the SOR kit is a quality piece comparable to Clayton and RE and a few others...just not as expensive.
The friend as a middle man thing is just added time and cost and I can't really afford either in abundance since I'll be leaving so soon.
I only briefly pondered the idea of making my own LA kit. Yes, I probably could but in this case buying makes far more sense. If I ordered all the stuff and something got lost in the mail or I cut something wrong and had to reorder I'd be royally screwed. Maybe if I can't get it done one way and have to head home with it a low rider I will give it a shot. Not a lot of local support here when it comes to fabrication and I haven't found DOM tubing anywhere near me.
And your correct... we do have auto skills centers on (most) military bases. The one where I am at closes about the time I get off work and isn't open on Sundays. That leaves me basically just Sat to work on any project. And believe me... I am already a fixture there from working EVERY free day I have on one of my Jeeps. :)

About the only thing I've figured out is that I need to win the lottery and build a 50K sq foot garage! lol! Thanks for your suggestions.... something will work it out somehow. I've been kicking the idea of just running the ACOS and some sort of Bastard pack to see if I can gain enough to simply clear the tires I have. As I mentioned, this thing won't be getting wheeled before I can get it done right like I want it. But I'm just not sure how else to squeeze in a set of 33x9.50ATs for the boat ride home. :)

Anyone know if RE (or one of their vendors/distributors) sells just their long arm portion of their kit including the cross member? I see on their site where they sell both upper and lower arms for the kit but nothing about the cross member? Is it needed or can the LAs be run using the factory mounts (doubt it).?

yes, you can off the www.4wd.com website. That's what i did. i bought the LA upgrade kit, their springs, bilstiens and used my existing trackbar. The LA upgrade is fairly inexpensive as opposed to the whole kit.

Well... decided to try a new shipping place and will give the RE drop brackets a shot. Hopefully these will work ok with the stock arms until I can upgrade to LAs when I'm stateside.

Never got an email brotha... Just your last post about their weight and that you were gonna find out. Not a huge deal... I am still down for using yours but I may have to wait until after I'm in VA (Ft. Myers). Time is ticking and money is flowing but I'm trying to keep a reign on it knowing I still have to pay to ship the XJ. :)
Good thing is that I can prob. sell the RE brackets once I can get your arms.

Back