• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel rail quick connect o-ring damaged upon rail re-installation ...

FlyNNN

NAXJA Forum User
After a successful day of upgrading to new injectors in my 1990 Jeep XJ, I had one final hook-up and I was done. As per Murphy's Law, I ran into a problem. I was having difficulty getting the quick connect fitting on the back of the fuel rail to connect with the return fuel line. I then noticed a brown o-ring popped out and was cut. I looked inside the fuel line and saw a spacer and another brown o-ring jammed in sideways. I removed both and then placed the trio (o-ring/spacer/o-ring) back on the inlet of the fuel rail and then was able to get the quick clip to connect the fuel line to the rail and it is solidly on.

I've never replaced my fuel rail before and today was my first time. I followed the "Injector Swap Write-up" located here;

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1064227

but no mention was made about replacing the o-rings. According to the 1990 FSM, these o-rings must be replaced when disassembled. Should I even attempt to crank this over? What should I do?

I placed a video up on YouTube for all to see what happened; http://youtu.be/kUwjGwMP5t0

Makes sense, that's why I almost never disconnect the rail from the fuel line when working on it, I either place the whole manifold assembly to the side with the lines still connected or unplug the injectors from the manifold/rail.

I would cycle the key to run without starting it, then back, then to run, repeat a few times, a few seconds apart. Check for leakage. If no leakage, start it up and see if it does ok. If no leakage, order the replacement o-rings and keep an eye on it... if it leaks, order em and replace before going anywhere.

I see that there is a "quick connect repair kit" that is designed for whenever the fuel lines are removed from the fuel rail.
83502745.jpg

I don't want to recreate the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster with that o-ring failure on my vehicle. I'll ride my bike over to a local auto retail store and see if I can get a fuel grade o-ring replacement.

open

Lubricate the o-rings when you reinstall them, engine oil, petroleum jelly, even gas, just something to help them slide a little.

I picked up some o-rings and quick connect clips from NAPA this week. 10 o-rings and a couple of clips for around $15 (min. order of 5 for each). I'll re-use the spacers.

Napa 730-5018 3/8 Viton

Napa 730-5017 5/16 Viton

Yea, and if for some reason you do buy the "kit", be advised that the quick disconnect male portion (the white clips) do NOT fit inside the female portion. I think what you did was the right choice, much cheaper than the kit and sure to fit.

The repair kits as they call them are still available at the dealer and is cheap and just a piece of mind knowing you have the right part in the fuel system.....

This is the number the last time I ordered some from them 8350-2745

You have the part number for the clips? Both nubers you posted are for O rings only. I have to take mine apart this weekend and have a feeling these little white clips are gonna fall apart on me.

You have the part number for the clips? Both nubers you posted are for O rings only. I have to take mine apart this weekend and have a feeling these little white clips are gonna fall apart on me.

I ended up re-using my clips. They are pretty durable. The ones I got from my local NAPA were wrong. "Dorman 800-016 fuel line clips assorted 5/16 3/8" is what I should have got.
31fJZl9KfbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon has them; http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-016-Retaining-Assortment-Chrysler/dp/B00066UKGM

Sorry to dig this up, but everywhere I check there are two sizes of o-ring listed. Do I need both? My supply and return lines look like they have the same (4x) size o-rings, but they're so dried up I don't think it would be worth it to measure them. Should it be 5/16-spacer-3/8 or is one 3/8-spacer-3/8?

Thanks.

Sorry to dig this up, but everywhere I check there are two sizes of o-ring listed. Do I need both? My supply and return lines look like they have the same (4x) size o-rings, but they're so dried up I don't think it would be worth it to measure them. Should it be 5/16-spacer-3/8 or is one 3/8-spacer-3/8?

Thanks.

Answered my own question, for reference the front connector (to the regulator) is 5/16 and the back connector is 3/8.

Quick disconnect part numbers

So far the Napa part numbers for just orings is:

Napa 730-5018 3/8 Viton individual orings $1.56 each
Napa 730-5017 5/16 Viton individual orings $1.35 each
Napa CRB 212305 fuel line repair kit 5/16? $15.93 each

Mopar repair kits:

83502745 fuel line repair kit 5/16 $6.99 Morris
83504447 fuel line/Trans line repair kit 3/8 $8.99 Morris

Back