• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing axle and new control arms

alloriginaltone

NAXJA Forum User
Here's what I learned today installing the lower control arms and upper control arms and mounting the axle.

It's way way way easier to install the arms on the frame side and then work the axle into place rather than installing on the axle first. I had tried to install on the axle and then mount to the frame...but it proved very difficult even with ratchet straps and jacks. As soon as I "gave up" and removed the axle side, installed the frame side and went back to the axle side it was very quick and easy.

There are a few reasons I can see to install the frame side of the control arms first (especially if you've purchased new arms):

1. The holes on the frame side are pretty hard to see if you're working from jacks on the ground.

2. It's really hard to line everything up if you're wrestling the arms into the fixed non-movable frame. Much easier to move the axle around to fit the holes.

3. Things tend to be in the way as you are connecting it all up if you start with the axle. LCAs bumping into jack stands and stuff like that.

So, with that experience in the books, I can't recommend the axle-first method. I would go with the frame first method in the future.

Back