• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone with a ford HP dana 44 housing?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Just looking for the housing or even center section really.

Thanks

Clean-RC said:
I got one... what are ya planning... I may be persuaded to off my project...Since Im nothing more than a web wheeler theese days... give me a call...

This one is too nice for me and complete.

Anyone else with a more bare housing like, sitting around??

dude come on!

if your even thinking about upgrading the 30 why a 44!

go d60 or go home.....

and if your still feeling the same..
i have a line on a hp ford d44........

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
dude come on!

if your even thinking about upgrading the 30 why a 44!

go d60 or go home.....

and if your still feeling the same..
i have a line on a hp ford d44........

Dude read more or surf here more..

Doing a HP44 center, and all 60 outer with 35sp arb and full 35 outer stuff. That way I figure I will have more clearance upfront. And I never once ever broke a 30 R&P so a 44 should hold up fine for me.

So wheres this line? I am in the 100 or less catagory, and all I need is the center and tubes and really dont have to have tubes really.

ROBERTK said:
Dude read more or surf here more..

Doing a HP44 center, and all 60 outer with 35sp arb and full 35 outer stuff. That way I figure I will have more clearance upfront. And I never once ever broke a 30 R&P so a 44 should hold up fine for me.

Meh.......

sounds like a waste of money to me......

the ratio of the size of tires you run now to the d30 ring gear vs. the size of tires you will be running (37+ i presume) to the d44 ring gear doesnt look too appealing to me....

if your going through all the trouble of messing with fabbing mounts and setting up c's so you can find out that you wanna go bigger later and have rendered your d44 useless for an inch or two unshaved clearance then thats on you.....

granted you dont see too many busted d44 r&p in our group on 37s i wouldnt chance it....

35 spline on a 44 is just praying for a broken ring gear, unless your running hubs.......then your praying for broken hubs everytime you go out.

i may not be speaking from experience but it just doesnt seem logical to me.

with a 60 your upgrade options are good up to 44"s. With a d44 your done at 37s. You were pushing the limit with your 30 and you got lucky, so with a 44 your gonna do the same thing?

ill ask my axle guy tonight what weve got...d60 and 44 wise :D

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
Meh.......

sounds like a waste of money to me......

the ratio of the size of tires you run now to the d30 ring gear vs. the size of tires you will be running (37+ i presume) to the d44 ring gear doesnt look too appealing to me....

if your going through all the trouble of messing with fabbing mounts and setting up c's so you can find out that you wanna go bigger later and have rendered your d44 useless for an inch or two unshaved clearance then thats on you.....

granted you dont see too many busted d44 r&p in our group on 37s i wouldnt chance it....

35 spline on a 44 is just praying for a broken ring gear, unless your running hubs.......then your praying for broken hubs everytime you go out.

i may not be speaking from experience but it just doesnt seem logical to me.

with a 60 your upgrade options are good up to 44"s. With a d44 your done at 37s. You were pushing the limit with your 30 and you got lucky, so with a 44 your gonna do the same thing?

ill ask my axle guy tonight what weve got...d60 and 44 wise :D

The only difference really between what I will have when done with this (IF I go this route) and what a magority of D60 35sp front owners have, is a much smaller pumpkin (both saving space on top for motor,exh,trackbar etc., and below), and D44 gear set. Of which the R&P should be just fine i think. Also lighter weight, but thats no biggy..

Skullvarian said:
this may be near you Robert:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561819

edit: whoops, looks like you are already on it>

Yep THANKS though...

I tried to get a addy from him yesterday to come lok/buy it. He was like ummm well call me on your way over and I will tell you how to get here... ??

Then I asked about cast or weld on mounts. He said its a 79 so weld on. I read though that the 79 was cast on the F250 44? Now he posted up its welded. SO we shall see if he will let me have a addy to mapquest and come give him money. He also was all bent when I offered 200 for it. Or even offered he keep everything but the cover and housing for 100.

I am thinking I will just sell everything but the housing and cover on ebay and make my money back I think... Shall see..

if it IS out of a F250, it will have a welded on pass side LEAF perch and the driver side LEAF perch is cast into the diff housing.

Keep in mind the F250 and F150 axles are TOTALLY different animals.

IF you are thinking about running 60 outters, the 78-79 F250 D44 is the one you'd want. Its HP, with extra material in the webbing on the snout of the pinion. It also came with 3" dia axle tubes.

sintax said:
if it IS out of a F250, it will have a welded on pass side LEAF perch and the driver side LEAF perch is cast into the diff housing.

Keep in mind the F250 and F150 axles are TOTALLY different animals.

IF you are thinking about running 60 outters, the 78-79 F250 D44 is the one you'd want. Its HP, with extra material in the webbing on the snout of the pinion. It also came with 3" dia axle tubes.

Awww, cool. I will look for those signs.

The only things I know to look for are, 3" OD tubes, and welded on mounts. So if it has a leaf pad on the pumkin then its F250 and if its what a F150 its a radius arm mount?

What all should I be looking for?

This is what he posted...
they are both hp housings ,i have 1 that is fully rebuilt with new seals inner axel, pinnion seal, all hub and bearings new , new warn preimun locking hubs , new spicer ball joints, new outter axles , bearings gaskets new rotors rebuilt calipers , new trac lock 4.10 case, spicer 4.10 gears, ring and pinnoin bearings new, 1310 yoke, trac bar with energy suspension bushings , all new or rebuilt never installed $1300 firm these are 65.5" wms to wms

these are welded on c's not cast on c's

the 2nd one is the same as the first but not rebuilt yet and no trac bar , $250 it is rusty but not too bad complete locking hub to locking hub

EDIT.. well just called him and confirmed that now he says F-150 and that there are radius arm mounts welded on and no leaf pads.

What is the tube OD for this axle? I will have to search. dont want to have to buy deadenbear (sp?) inner C's. PMP has them for 185 new in a 3"OD for the D60.

OK well forget that axle.. Mr N's site says "Axles to avoid: 44RS 1978-79 F100, F150 and full size Bronco 44RS. This is a good axle only if left with the factory coil mounting brackets. Be sure to a void the 1/4 inch thick inner tube version. Price is average because high amount of these available."

I will keep searching...

Last edited:
You could just buy my jeep outright and go from there...

You could reuse most of the hardware on my 79 F250 D44, already setup for full hydro, move the coilovers up front to your jeep. The 5.13's and arb will be nice too.

Now that its done I am ready to sell it.

=P

Shop around a bit robert, I got my '79 F250 hp44 for $400 plus freight, which was another $175 or so, coming from the east coast. I started with ford truck forums, and then hit people who talked about older trucks sitting around. 4.10's, limited slip (not original), and he threw in the rear 60, master/booster, and np205. :)

ROBERTK said:
What is the tube OD for this axle? I will have to search. dont want to have to buy deadenbear (sp?) inner C's. PMP has them for 185 new in a 3"OD for the D60.

OK well forget that axle.. Mr N's site says "Axles to avoid: 44RS 1978-79 F100, F150 and full size Bronco 44RS. This is a good axle only if left with the factory coil mounting brackets. Be sure to a void the 1/4 inch thick inner tube version. Price is average because high amount of these available."

I will keep searching...

I just went out and measured mine the Tube outer diameter is 2.750" so 2 3/4.. Maybe not such a good deal afterall... but is has 1/2" thick tube walls... :D

I hope you find one...

You could easily pick up a steering ROCKWELL for $500. Why use wimpy Dana parts?

But if you're stuck on D44, the hot ticket is the mid 90s Ford TTB D44, you have to do a little minor fabrication to solidify the passenger side tube.... But I've read that this is the ONLY way to do if you want to be truely hardkore.

guess your not reading much of my first post?

I would like to keep the pumpkin as install friendly as poss.

Rockwell? Hell I need to double my lift!

I wish I could find a rockcrusher HP60 center. I was told though that they are still proto types. But at 495 with cover, and significantly smaller then stock and smaller then any other manufactured housing, its a no brainer I think.

vintagespeed said:
You could easily pick up a steering ROCKWELL for $500. Why use wimpy Dana parts?

But if you're stuck on D44, the hot ticket is the mid 90s Ford TTB D44, you have to do a little minor fabrication to solidify the passenger side tube.... But I've read that this is the ONLY way to do if you want to be truely hardkore.

Hey! I'll even have one to sell after I do my SAS!
I'll even sell it CHEAP!
;)

Jump This said:
Hey! I'll even have one to sell after I do my SAS!
I'll even sell it CHEAP!
;)
If Robert isn't interested, I may be, I have been wanting to play with a set of ttb's for a while, let me know.
Thanks much
Chris

Back