• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft question

ljobbins

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am swapping and building a lot of stuff on my xj and first on the list is building and 8.8 with gears to match my 33s. Next up is swapping the ax15 to get my Puegot out. while I have the transfer case out I was thinking of installing a sye. I was wondering if a front driveshaft can be used with no lift? I am installing a lift later when I finish collecting the parts so for a while it will have no lift to speak of. I can throw the transfer case back in without the sye and use the stock driveshaft but I thought if the front driveshaft would work I can avoid dropping the transfer case again.

I searched and I found people using the front driveshaft for lifts and custom shafts for no lift but I couldn't find much info for fully compressed length if I went over a speed bump or whatever with no lift would it be too small?

Thanks

If the driveshaft is centered in the slip yoke travel when installed, it should be OK. You will likely have to find a shorter driveshaft if there is no lift installed. You will need to test fit and/or measure to be sure. See the driveshaft length posting in the NAXJA FAQ's to find a Junkyard driveshaft that will fit.

You can't use an xj front shaft with an ax15, you need a longer shaft

You can't use an xj front shaft with an ax15, you need a longer shaft

Find a V8 Grand Cherokee front drive shaft. The length varies by an inch or two for certain years but like mentioned before the OEM DS lengths are in the stickies. That will get you as close as you can without having a custom one made.

I ran an XJ auto front driveshaft with my ax15/231 with SYE for a little bit. Were the splines on the slip showing? Yes. Did it come apart? Never. At the time I was in a pinch. Later I took it to a driveshaft shop and they lengthened it so the slip is back in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back