• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hmmm. Congress is poking CARB with a stick.

Fantastic!! I hope some of the BS that they are trying to pull, and has pulled, gets shut down. CARB is making it nearly impossible for transport based business to survive in CA.

"Poking," or "Whacking?"

I've made it about halfway through the .pdf so far, and it looks like CARB is going to be put right in the centre of the spot.

Having had to deal with CARB in the past, I think that Congress bringing CARB to heel would be helpful - as long as Congress doesn't get full of itself in the bargain (there are elements of 49CFR, Part 1 that I honestly think should be rescinded out of hand, but that's just me. FMVSS has gotten overburdensome.)

California has added another - generally unnecessary, and universally burdensome - layer to much administration for shopowners. I've run a couple of shops, which is why I don't do it anymore...

EPA regs are supplemented by CalEPA and CARB regs.
OSHA regs are made even more burdensome by CalOSHA.
Elements of the California Labour Code are just migraine-inducing.

And I'm sure there are other "duplicate layers of regulation" involved, I just can't recall them offhand. Not to mention - what are you supposed to do when something required by one state-level department is expressly and explicitly forbidden by another? Who gets the fine, and why is it always you? (Ask FarmerMatt, if he's still around, for recent examples of that. Regs put out by CalAg and CalEPA have been in direct conflict with CARB regs...)

This is not to mention the utterly stupid ideas that come out of Sacramento. I seem to recall hearing about how FarmerMatt had to convert all of his irrigation from Diesel/electric to straight electric, as mandated by (I think) CalAg and CalEPA. CARB got involved, told him the engines all had to be "deactivated" by boring a four-inch hole in the side of the block.

So he ended up with a few dozen Caterpillar 3208 (I think) Diesels sitting in a shop that he had to take a 4" hole saw to. He followed the letter of the law - the holes were in the skirt of the block, and could be repaired. Stupid reg, tho - selling the engines to the industrial market would have helped to recover the cost of the electric conversion.

Of course, PG&E was involved in that decision as well. Are you surprised?

So, yeah, I'd love to see CARB get slapped around a bit. It may set a useful precedent for other State-level departments in California, that have gotten too big for their britches...

chances are, they'll make it worse.

x2, I'm waiting for CARB to pull one of these

no_you.jpg

Back