• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ likes to jump over 210

Prowler

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my T-stat and it stays alittle cooler until drive awhile. Then it likes to go over 210 some. What can I do to keep this jeep cool? It is running at 201,000 miles. And I want it to get me down to Oklahoma from Iowa in 98 degree whether in june! :patriot:

Do you have original radiator?, how long ago did you change it?

Did you do a flush, rust will build up in motor & radiator & restrict flow.

Does your radiator hose collapse when engine is running hot? some companies dont put "spring" in hose to stop from collapsing.

Does it over heat when driving at 55mph or when you driving slower or at idle?

Goodluck

-The Tstat is a stock replacement

-How do you know if the electric fan pops on?

-Yes I still have the origional radiator.
-I don't think the hoses collapse but I do have BRX silicone hoses sitting in my room still. Could that fix the problem?
-I've done a antifreeze change. (don't no if thats the same as flushing radiator)
-I seem to notice it over heat more at an idle.

When the elec fan comes on you can hear it if you have the radio off and/ or are standing still. At home with the hood open you can see it. If your really listening you can hear it when your driving. As far as the rad, I removed mine and used a hose to really flush it out and there was a ton of crud in it. I also connected a garden hose to my heater hose's and rsd hose to flush out the system as best I could . Put everything back together and it made a big diff.

It will be an airflow issue if it only happens at idle.

You can wire up your elc. fan to a switch. Thats what I did. It really works well. just watch where you run the wires. I had one cut in two by the clutch fan.

Good luck!

That's handy to have if you are offroading or towing heavy loads....but.....

That's sort of just a "coverup" for his problem. It isn't finding the cause of his provlem...

It sounds he is just using his as a daily driver and experiencing this without any extra stresses or loads on his vehicle.

Yep Blaine is correct. It is my DD. So I should take off radiator and flush very very well. Then take off heater hoses and radiator hoses and replace with my BRX silicones.
-Will a fan clutch be pricey?
-is it hard to get the radiator off?

Viscous fan clutch is about $50 or so. Removing the radiator isn't hard.

If it is the origional, I wouldn't even bother flushing it. Just replace it...

If you flush it, you risk having it blow a hole (like mine did shortly after I flushed it) and loosing a bunch of fresh coolant anyway.

While you have the radiator out it's probably a good time to do the water pump as well.

To flush the radiator alone, though, you don't need to remove it. Just disconnect both the upper and lower radiator hoses.

Prowler said:
Yep Blaine is correct. It is my DD. So I should take off radiator and flush very very well. Then take off heater hoses and radiator hoses and replace with my BRX silicones.
-Will a fan clutch be pricey?
-is it hard to get the radiator off?

I used radiator cleaner to clean mine then removed it and completely flushed it and the engine block before putting everything back together.
Over heating at idle may only indicate a bad mechanical fan or fan clutch. Over heating at highway speed is a different matter.

Where in Iowa are you? I will be in DesMoines for six months.

A drive to Oklahoma is not so bad for the XJ. I drove my XJ up from Miami all 1600+ miles in two days. It did not sneeze nor hickup the entire trip.

I will probably look into new radiator. And I have been wanting to get new Water Pump so this will be good chance.

Techno-I live in Des Moines IA on the South Side.

Prowler said:
I will probably look into new radiator. And I have been wanting to get new Water Pump so this will be good chance.

Techno-I live in Des Moines IA on the South Side.

That is close to where I work. I work from an office near Army Post and US 69.
No place to wheel in Iowa. :(

Back