• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hesitation - help

Blackash132

NAXJA Forum User
So in my 97 it seems as though there is some hesitation during in town driving. When I let off the gas as you would in traffic then accelerate again it lags for a second then works fine, it's barely noticeable but it's noticeable and annoying. Only happens during my commute back and forth to work, but it seems to be getting a little worse. The only other time I noticed it was when I was stopped in the suicide lane, then made my turn, when the gear changed it was like a carborator that was thirsty then picked right up again. I tried the seafoam to try and clean out any carbon. Smoked the hell out of it and I get a little better mileage but hasn't fixed this problem. I've also been having a hard starting problem - related? It cranks for much longer than normal then starts right up.
I've got Bosch platinum 4 plugs, new wires, cap, throttle body spacer, rusty's k&n kit (cleaned it and oiled it last month)

I'm stumped.
Thanks in advance.

I had a problem like yours, but only when I was backing up and turning right. It turns out my wiring harness was rubbing on my fuel rail. I opened the harness, taped up the expossed wire, and zip tied it higher up, check for a wire rubbing under the hood.

did you do the seafoam through the throttle body or through a vacuum line on the intake manifold. sounds like the problem could be a dirty throttle body or possibly the spark plugs. have you tried using what the factory calls for instead of the bosch platinum 4 plugs?

Hi,
You don't say whether you fitted a new rotor arm as well when you changed the cap and wires. My 93 XJ would hesitate when I gave it more gas on hills and pulling off from traffic lights. I fitted new spark plugs, new plug wires, new cap, new rotor arm and the problems gone, I had even thought it might have been a clogged up filter in the auto box causing it. Make sure you fit a new rotor arm, on my old rotor arm the brass part had worn down quite a lot compared to the new one, this is what was making it hesitate.
Hope this helps.

Fuel pressure at the rail good? Could still be a plugged injector, also.

Back