• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Urgent Need Help With Ign. Switch Install

Elwood

NAXJA Forum User
Determined That I Have A Bad Ign. Switch. I Know That It Is Located On The Steering Column. How Is The Best Way To Install It. Im A Virgin And Have Never Attempted This. I Have A 89 Cherokee That I Want To Drive Forever. Thanks.

First off you need the star drives with the hole in them. The screws on the switch are fitted with special screws to help foil bad guys. The tumbler needs a lock smith and the electrical is a separate part. Each is about $100 at the dealer.
Just a note, when I thought my switch was bad it ended up being the nuetral safty switch. Does everything turn on? and it just won't crank?? Do your back up lights work??

tgregg said:
First off you need the star drives with the hole in them. The screws on the switch are fitted with special screws to help foil bad guys. The tumbler needs a lock smith and the electrical is a separate part. Each is about $100 at the dealer.
Just a note, when I thought my switch was bad it ended up being the nuetral safty switch. Does everything turn on? and it just won't crank?? Do your back up lights work??
You don't need to mess with the tumbler at all, the whole switch is under the dash and operated with a cable.
You need to order the switch for tilt or standard. About $15.00 at NAPA.
igswitch.jpg

lawsoncl said:
It's actually a rod and not a cable. If it's a no crank issue, then I vote for the NSS as well.
That depends whether you have a tilt wheel or not. Thats also why there are two switches, tilt wheels have a cables.

Back