• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj sport goofy abs

evinruderider

NAXJA Forum User
First time xj owner and forum user. So heres my symptoms , I've noticed that the brake pedal is stiff when you first get in it without starting the motor, yesterday the abs would come on under moderate brake pressure on dry roads, today we have snow and it won't come on at all, and no ABS light on the dash. I haven't checked fuses or anything yet just looking for a good place to start. Thank you!

does the abs light turn on when you first turn the key on?

the abs works by detecting wheel speed. if one locks up it will trigger.

once had a ford that would not detect wheel speed slower than 5mph and would always activate when braking. never triggered a light for that.

My 97 XJ's antilock never works very well and one day the ABS light came on.
There is very little information available for troubleshooting the ABS system.
After screwing with it for a few months, I fixed the problem by dumping the D35 and building a 8.25 axle, to replace it.
8.25 XJs do not have ABS or an easy way of installing the sensors on each side of the rear axle.
Cured the ABS light by pulling the fuse..good riddance.

Best advice is to inspect each wheel's sensor for damage, clean each sensors plug and any plug that is part of the ABS system. Check the ABS fuse.

Back