• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch issue

wingnutooa

NAXJA Forum User
ax15/4.0 HO with a renix flywheel (cps/renix electrical system)

been driving it for 2 years and friday i pushed the clutch in and heard a pop, not loud, and the clutch pedal stayed down, would no longer disengage, had to drive it home, shifting without the clutch,

i pulled the trans today, i'm suspecting its the slave cylinder, everything else looks kosher,

its 90+s/h from rockauto. really hoping i can have this back in and rolling before the weekend, otherwise i'm going to be late to my own going away party.

any insight? helpful hints?

already looked into an external slave conversion but i think thats going to have to be a project for when i have more than 5 days to gather parts and complete the conversion.

just ordered my rockauto hydro TOB, really hope thats it, nothing was leaking or had any issues so i'm assuming its the internal slave.

101$ & change for 2 day shipping,

trying my best to not leave everyone hanging at turkey bay!

When it went to the floor did it stay there, and if you pull it back up does it spring back. When i bought mine the lady said she had the clutch replaced less than a year before that and when we looked it over we found the master cylinder eye that holds it to the pedal had broken off. two zip ties later I've been driving it for 2 years and no problems.

bogonia says my problem is now fixed...

291958_2526932698534_1409933511_2975203_1384194796_n.jpg

So what was it that needed fixing?

got sye?

If you do replace the slave, for pete's sake get one with the hydraulic lines already installed! I had a helluva time with getting the o-rings installed. When my slave went out though, the pedal had no pressure, it would just fall to the floor. Have you removed the slave yet? Checked the pilot bearing? The release bearing is pressed into the slave. If that seems ok, I'm hopping on the master bandwagon.

Edit: BUT while you have it out... wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the slave anyways with the master. They tend to fall one after another, if you put in a new master it would be a pain to kill the old slave 2 weeks later and pull the tranny again.

I'm guessing since Joe is made of steel his heavy foot mashed the clutch and totally destroyed it. Joe doesn't even know his own strength. Geez.

lol, just pulled back in the driveway with the jeep, oddly enough bosco is right!

i got the slave installed everything wen't together rather smoothly thanks to the help of my lovely assistant, aside from 1 bolt that had to be cut and i didnt have a replacement,

got ready to bleed, and i pushed down on the clutch and it was a free swinging pendulum.

wtf... something definitely not right, so i grab the light and look underneath,

the metal arm coming off of the clutch pedal that pushes the master cylinder rod was completely broken off,

the reason i didn't see anything wrong before was it was still attached enough that everything looked like it was tucked up in its rightful place.

i welded the shit out of it, re installed, bled the clutch, and now i need to learn to drive it again because the clutch is so "new", not sure how long i've been driving it with it half way busted off but its been a little tough to get into gear for quite some time,

anyways, spent 122$ that i didn't need to, pulled the tranny unnessesarily, all to fix my jeep so we can have a romp in the woods one last time!

see you guys at turkey bay!

Back