• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle hub help please

mstockwell41

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i replaced my front hubs on my 88 wagoneer and torqued them to 175 and the problems began. when i tried to drive away it acted like the ebrake was on. I lowed the torque on the axle nut like a car (until the wheel would slightly spin) and checked the torque and it was around 50. If i go higher it wont even move. Any ideas?

What brand hubs did you buy?

Sounds like they're bad to me

I bought carquest premium. I put the washer back in and they match the old ones. When i removed to old ones tbey were loose as well. They work fine when tightned like regular wheel bearings but i know tbey wont last if not torqued.

Have you confirmed that the axle/knuckles/brakes are renix era? That may be the problem

2wd or 4wd?

2wd XJs/MJs use regular spindles until around 92.0, 4wd XJs/MJs all use unit bearings.

if you have spindles, it would make a lot of sense that you have issues with them when they're subjected to unit bearing torque levels!

Can you take a picture of the hub and brake rotor? Does the brake rotor come off the bearing assembly?

launch

the one on the left was in the jeep, the one on the right is what they gave me.

Well i cant figure out how to post pictures. I figured out they sold me the wrong ones, the old ones the bearings were level with the hub surface and the new ones the bearings are recessed into the hub and have a seal that goes around the axle. The axle was rubbing on the hub, it was wider than the bearing surface. As soon as i figure the intraweb out i will post pics.

Your tag usage is right, but you've used a bad URL.

b9d3b1c2-be4a-4287-9672-11f3844f8fc5_zps74b6ade5.jpg
4e134986-b4fa-426f-92f9-c8e3c2af4943_zpsf774cbfd.jpg

The Hub on the left came out of the Jeep, the one on the right is what i was sold. Picture on the right shows where it was rubbing on the axle. Guy at carquest said the computer only shows one for the wagoneer, from what i found i need hubs for 84-89 cherokee, is this correct?

That's accurate. Wait a second...

I'm not too familiar with RENIX era steering knuckles, can anyone tell if that's a RENIX or 90/91 and later knuckle? It looks to me like your jeep may not have a factory-year-appropriate front axle housing. If he will let you, try bringing your old hub into the store and comparing it side by side with, say, a hub for a 1993 XJ.

That is a later model knuckle, those are the caliper slider bolt mounts. The caliper ears are cast into the knuckle ... Whereas the earlier knuckles had the caliper ears as a seperate bolt on casting.

Back