• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A couple mod questions

BAXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
I have a couple things I’m curious about but each on their own is not enough to warrnt a whole thread. So I figured I would put them all together.
1st question. Is there a data buss I can tap in a 96xj? I have installed an overhead console from a 97? Zj and it works well enough but I would like if I could get data from the ecu to show trip mileage, mpg, miles to empty etc. I have read the overhead console write up and it has lead me to believe there is a buss somewhere I can tap but I don’t know where that is.
2nd question. What degree shim do I need for a 4.5 inch lift and no crosmember drop? I am removing the drop and I need a new shim I believe.
Lastly. Does anybody know if it’s legal in mass to delete the tail pipe and dump the exhaust right out the muffler before the rear axle.

Any help on any of these would be awesome thanks!

I just realized that I posted this in OEM rather than modified. Face palm. Can someone give me hand getting this moved please?

According to the Mitchell wiring diagram I looked, the '96 does have a data bus, but it runs directly to the OBD II port and nothing else. I wouldn't be surprised if a factory '96 PCM doesn't even have the functionality you're looking for to begin with.

As far as getting rid of the tailpipe behind the muffler, legal or not, I wouldn't do it. Did it on my '96 (got rear-ended. Jeep still ran and drove but the tailpipe was crimped and trashed, so I just cut it off) and the new exit right from the muffler ended up being right next to the U-joint for the rear diff. A professor of mine (who's been an ASE-certified master mechanic since 1976) saw that and asked in a "you-know-better" sort of way if I thought dumping all that exhaust heat right next to the U-joint was the best thing for the grease in it. I agreed it wasn't, but also told him I planned on replacing the entire exhaust with a performance system anyways.

Thanks for the info. I will try tapping the buss at the port, if I don’t get any readings than oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. As for the exhaust, that is an excellent point I had not thought of. Come to think of it it’s probanlt not great for the temperature of the diff either.

More than temperature is increased possibility of getting fumes inside the vehicle especially while stopped in traffic. A couple guys got killed from that here a few years ago. They had an old Bronco II and got high centered off road on a cold night. They decided to sleep in the Bronco a few hours until the sun came up. The exhaust was junk and they left it running. They never woke up.

Another excellent point. Considering how, caugh caugh, “air tight” or “waterproof” my xj is it now sounds like a very bad idea. Thank you for the input.

Yep exhaust has to dump beyond passenger area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I just realized that I posted this in OEM rather than modified. Face palm. Can someone give me hand getting this moved please?

Done. Just noticed the request.

In the future you can hit the ! icon at the top of a post and report it with that request so that we get notified.

Back