• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep not starting HELP FAST!!!

K2fender

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, the other night i pulled over to the side of the road and my jeep just cut off within 20 seconds. So i jumped it, kept my foot on the gas and made it home. I put a new alternator in, thinking that would fix the problem, the amps were reading zero on the guage. They now read right. I put a friends battery in. I figured mine would be dead by now. Now, just like before, as soon as I let off the gas, the jeep dies. What could it be. I cant figure it out. I need help as soon as possible. By the way, this is a 1999 jeep cherokee. Thanks...

Just to clarify, the jeep cuts off as soon as i let off the gas, it doesn't sputter so it doesnt seem to be a fuel problem. Also this is a 4.0 litre.

Just the engine. I have power to the rest of the jeep such as radio, lights, etc... Everything seems to be grounded right though. I'll check that again tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

Also, when i turn the key the jeep will either not turn over and just click or it will turn over really slowly and not fire until i give it a little bit of gas. I need help as soon as possible. I dont really have any other form of transportation right now.

Last edited:
I can get it to start though by jumping it, but if i let off the throttle once it is started the jeep dies. I don't think thats would be the starter failing.

K2fender said:
I can get it to start though by jumping it, but if i let off the throttle once it is started the jeep dies. I don't think thats would be the starter failing.
it might me the Air Control Module, its located on the throttle body

Last edited:
check both cables from the batterie , i had a similar problem , would click and not start died sometimes , turned out to be the ground cable had lots of corrosion and not enough amps were getting through

Back