• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky leaky leaky!~

Rowdy

NAXJA Forum User
My front pass. side floor is SOAKED.. almost an inch of water. the drivers side is damp. I've checked the windshield seal all the way around and it appears to be good. This leak is very recent.

The defrost gets used quite frequently (cycles the AC too right?) I know the heater core is good and the wet floors don't a) smell sweet b) slippery consistency.

How do I check the evap. drains that I've heard mentioned before? Also, whats the best plan of attack to check the blower motor seal without pulling all the AC stuff off?

Anything else I should check?

I also noticed I lose a considerable amount of windshield wash fluid. perhaps a leaky line dripping into the cowl?

The whole dash is now apart and I cant seem to find any water marks or indication as to where it's coming from.

All the previous problems I've read had been pass side only or drivers side only. this is both... just more server on the pax. side

Cheers,
Rowdy

my 88 had a leak/drip. it originated around the padding/seal for the heater core and evaporator where it exits the passenger compartment and enters the firewall.

Just found it day before yesterday and I have not had a day off to work on it. Plan on sealing it with silicone this week.

The evaporator drain line is a rubber hose that penetrates the passenger side firewall below where the evaporator refrigerant lines penetrate the firewall... It has a 90* bend on it and usually drips down onto the uni frame rail. You might need a flashlight to see it from above or go down beneath the vehicle and look for it...
You can try blowing some LOW pressure air into the tube to clear any blockage. DONOT use HIGH pressure air; it could cause damage to the evaporator fins...

Charles

Found the leak!!!

The washer fluid line had two pinholes and was siphoning all the fluid down and onto the floors! Go figure... Now it's all fixed and I'm drying the carpet out in the garage with a couple of heaters.

Any recomendations for products that'll help kill the smell?

I'd spread a whole bunch of baking soda into the carpet. A mess to clean up, but it should draw the moisture out and kill the smell.

Back