• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Voltage drop (Searched). Please help.

PosiDave

NAXJA Forum User
A little after thanksgiving I replaced my altenator and battery. The Altenator was bad but the battery was really old. I was making my 3 hour trip home this weekend and my Voltage dropped and it sits right above the red. The generator light came on. I didn't wanna have another break down so I drove the hour home and grabbed my other truck. I cleaned did a few things.
-Cleaned terminals
- Checked the altenator
- checked the ground on fender
- Checked tension of the belt

my oil pan has a leak by the starter and I cleaned those a little but didnt disconenct and reconnect.
The belt doesnt make any noises.
But the battery gauge is still right on the border of the red. Should I just switch the cable and go from there?

Its a 4.0 HO, Manual, with 232K. The Starter and selinoid were also replaced at 216k. The Battery Cables I do not know when they wer elast changed if ever.

Check the cables first. They could be old and have to much resistance. I would then turn to the starter. I had a old Caprice that did the same thing every couple weeks. Changed the alt, battery, and cables and the problem still happened. I too had an oil leak right onto the starter. I changed it and never had the problem again. Try to spray some brake cleaner in the starter and let it completely dry before you try starting it. I may just be all the oil in it is causing it to pull down your charging system.

Back