• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front shock--upper bolt

abzrocka

NAXJA Forum User
So I try to unscrew it but the bolt has seized to the threads. Hit it up with some blaster and still a no go. Any tips or tricks you guys got for me?

If you have a baby pipe wrench(a six or ten inch pipe wrench), you can try putting a box end wrench over the nut, spin the shaft until the wrench hits something(not something fragile) the trying to turn the shaft with the pipe wrench. Down side is the pipe wrench will eat the threads on the top of the shaft, but if you can spin the nut far enough up to get a small channel lock under it, you can usually force the nut over the remaining threads with a socket/rachet while holding the stud under the nut. 'Not easy, but better then trying to cut the studs off.

I put a pair of vice grips on the shaft(above the tire ya know in the fender well). Just got a good grip on the shaft and allowed it to turn and wedge against the fender well.

the child in you giggles about that? that's a little screwed up!

Yeah, just cut it off, that's what I did.

I still think my solution was easier than cutting anything or nut splitting. Took 2 seconds to put the vice grips on...

I guess anytime you bring out the power tools or something called a nut splitter it is kinda fun.

Those stems are long, I was way too lazy to actually unscrew it all the way :D Chopping it in half took a few seconds.

There has been some anecdotal evidence that a mix of ATF and acetone is the best rust breaker/lubricant ever invented.

Impact driver/deep socket on the nut up top. And a rubber vice-strap on the shock shaft in the wheel well.

/thread

Even with the shock held it would still spin. I eventually did the nut splitter thing. Mainly cause I had never heard of one.Forget the Money just give me the BABY!

Back