• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No crank, no radio, no lights, no nothing

Arokcrwlr

NAXJA Forum User
This may be a newb question, but here it goes...

I bought my son a 01 XJ about 6 months ago - it's been a great rig, no problems until now. He jumped in this morning to run an errand and turned the key - NOTHING happened - no power to anything (headlights, radio, ...), didn't crank, etc. He put the charger on it thinking it may be a drained battery - it showed a full charge. I am at work and haven't looked at personally...

I am not familiar with Jeeps, so don't know areas to look. Does this sound like a common issue? Sensor? Relay? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated - otherwise I guess I'll get the volt meter out when I get home and start debugging the elec system.

TIA.

I'll 3rd the bad contact with the battery terminals. Especially if they're extremely corroded. Seen it happen on several other vehicles.

Yep, check the connections at the battery. Check all the grounds as well.

Might want to pull the battery and have it load-tested if all those check out, battery might still be shot.

if not the battery just move forward on the power,
like starter, starter coil, see if its got a spark, dist. cap, plugs, plug wires, motor brain, dono of any other electrical things that need to operate.
only saying to do all of this b/c thats what i had to do to mine...starter coil, map sensor, computer, and 2 plug wires were fried!
good luck on fxin it, electrical is a bi%$h

AAA in the '70s reported over 3/4 of their service calls were because of corroded battery terminals. Most of the rest were flats. At $25 a call (now $50 and up ) you can imagine the profit for the local service station.

I didn't get paid that, tho.

Battery top post terminals do not have a gas tight seal where they penetrate the case; sulfuric acid works its way up and wicks onto the joint where the terminal is attached. Side posts do it too - just a lot less, which is a good reason to change over if you can or hate cleaning battery posts every 3-6 months. The cute felt pads don't seem to stop it, just act as a filter to slow it down.

Thanks for all of the replies. It was corroded battery cables - cleaned em up and it starts like a champ again.

Back