• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

issues with remote starter

saweddoffjeep

NAXJA Forum User
im not sure if this is the section to be posting in but, i have a remote starter installed in my 89 xj 4L auto, and recently its been acting really weird, it would start up, die, then start up, and continue that cycle until i put the key into the ignition and turn it to the ON position. And whenever it starts up it always makes a horrible cranking sound(its hard to describe the sound), is there anything particular causing this?

Check the tach sense wire, It sounds like it may not be getting the correct signal. Check the wire first, as far as the connection. You may even need to re-program the tach learning function of your alarm.

GGR said:
Check the tach sense wire, It sounds like it may not be getting the correct signal. Check the wire first, as far as the connection. You may even need to re-program the tach learning function of your alarm.
Yeah, I agree. It sounds like your alarm isn't getting a tach signal, so it over cranks (hence the grinding) then gives up after a set amount of time. Your engine is now running, but the alarm doesn't know, so it shuts the engine down and tries to start again.

Back