• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99XJ - Passenger Side Clunking

xdarrows

NAXJA Forum User
In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed a pretty prominent clunking sound coming from under the front passenger floor board (in the vicinity of the LCA frame mount).

I have new JKS adjustable LCAs installed.

Any ideas on how to diagnose and eliminate?

Thanks!

Obviously, you are going to have to crawl under and locate the worn out suspension bushings, or steering parts, and replace them. Without your Jeep in my driveway, that's the best guess you are going to get.

a clunking, to me, i found out was the actual shock absorber...you might might want to consider setting a go pro up, or grabbing it and seeing what slop you might have, in the left to right or front and back motion. it wont be noticeable in the up and down travel, but essentially in every other way.

I would consider shock bushings to be part of the suspension, but as suggest already, be sure to look closely at them as well.

I had a similar clunking on my XJ. When we swapped the JKS lower arms side to side the noise moved from the passenger to the drivers side.

I had a similar clunking on my XJ. When we swapped the JKS lower arms side to side the noise moved from the passenger to the drivers side.

Interesting!

Thanks for everyone's input ... there is a ton of new stuff underneath, so "worn" parts are hopefully not part of the equation.

I've got (in the last few months):
- New OME shocks
- New JKS adjustable LCAs and UCAs
- New JKS adjustable track bar
- New OME springs
- New JKS ACOS

So, is this clunking with the JKS LCAs a known issue?

The axle side suspension bushings are new ? Have you checked torque on all the new parts ? Have you inspected the exhaust system for loose/damaged parts, and failed exhaust hangers ? The motor and transmission mounts are all newer ? The 4x4 shifter mechanism bushings are all there and are tight ?

with that many new parts, good chance something loosened up or was not tight enough to begin with. start checking the new stuff.

I was at KOH this year and heard this crazy clunking from my drivers side, it ended up being one of the jam nuts on one of the adjustable arms had come loose and the arm was clunking as it moved in and out slightly. Check the jam nuts!

Interesting!

Thanks for everyone's input ... there is a ton of new stuff underneath, so "worn" parts are hopefully not part of the equation.

I've got (in the last few months):
- New OME shocks
- New JKS adjustable LCAs and UCAs
- New JKS adjustable track bar
- New OME springs
- New JKS ACOS

So, is this clunking with the JKS LCAs a known issue?

Yes, on my 97 with a very similar set up... Did a very slow brake depress release exercise with a hand on the LCA to confirm it. Replaced them with Metal Cloak and the noise was gone. The two arm sections were moving slightly at the threads. Sold the old arms on craigslist fast...

Back