• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 with electrical issue...I think

gabe4

NAXJA Forum User
First I tried searching but not sure what key words to use really. Here is the situation. This is a 98 4.0 with 160,000 on it. For years now she wouldn't start unless i put it in neutral but always started on first crank, the passengers side window switch hadn't worked for awhile but I could do it from the drivers side, then a couple months ago I noticed whenever I hit that switch the radio would make a noise, then recently i could hear the tick, tick of the blinker in the radio. Then the radio stopped working the blinker and tail lights stopped working and it felt like I was missing on a cylinder. Then a couple of weeks ago I couldn't get it to start it was cranking fine but no fire, so after checking all the plug wires and trying to determining if it was spark or gas I sprayed some ether in her with no luck. Then after a few days I was going to try and troubleshoot her when she just fired up no problem still no radio but for the next few times I needed her she fired up then the other day she fired up I got about 30 yards and she stalled and now I can't get her to start, again she cranks but that's it. It seems like an electrical issue but where should I start?

Jack up truck,

Remove wheels,

Install new truck on wheels.

Lower Truck,

Drive. :looney:

~~~~~~~~

Sounds like you have multiple problems.

First check all the ground connections in your engine bay for tightness of connection and corrosion. If you have problems identifying where all the grounds are let us know. If never done before, they should be disconnected and cleaned and reassembled.

The radio problem could be the braided bonding strap on the firewall that connects to a rear cylinder head bolt/stud. If this bonding strap is bad (broken/corroded) it can cause radio interference.

Back