• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

on board air

Brandon41177

NAXJA Forum User
alright so i've been looking and looking and looking, and cant find anything on on board air systems in xj's. i want to add an on board air system to my xj, i want an electric compressor, and a big enough tank to run air tools if i need to. i was think about mounting dual tanks under the rear seat but i cant find the right size tanks. and what compressor should i use? im open to any sugesstions. pictures would be great.

thanks.

my jeep i used the a/c compressor and mounted a tank in the cargo area on the right side against the wheel well, if memorie serves its a ten gallon tank long and skinny but fits with seats up and hatch closed so not much room lost. on my truck i used a small electric air compressor mounted in a small tool box in the bed as i didn't have room under the hood in my superduty for it, and i used a ten gallon short fat tank and both set ups are air tool capable and will fill a 35 in under a minute from dead flat. do some searching and figure out if you want electic or mechanical, both have their goods and bads. but its up to you to figure out what your needs are and which works better in your situation. however if you go electric be prepared to spend some money on the compressor, you get what you pay for. i'm in mine about 4 bills and it's worth every penny.

This is where i mounted my tank
airtank-1.jpg

This is under the rear seat.On very hot days i lift the seat up..110 an up
comp2.jpg

Last edited:
check out Viair. i have their 450 constant duty system- compressor, 2.5 gal tank, guage, lines, wire, pressure switch, and the like. its "all" you need for a great compressor set up. i modified mine (more hose) to allow me to put the compressor under the rear seat driver side and the tank on the pass cargo area. i love the set up and i use it regularly to dust off after work (i work construction and can get very dirty durring the day. the jeep is a beater so i wouldnt care too much if it wasnt for the wind blowing debris off me and into my face and eyes when driving with the windows down). it airs up the tank fast for a 12v system and with an extra tank would be great for air tools on the trail

Back