• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering stabalizer on WJ knuckle swap...?

89xjgrey

NAXJA Forum User
Well I don't like the lack of clearance between the tie rod and steering stabalizer on my XJ with WJ knuckles, JKS tie rod/drag link, flip inserts, and WJ rod ends. I'm wondering if anyone has run their steering damper from the passanger side frame down to the drag link, as opposed to the stock location up to the drag link... Pics would be nice also... Thanks.

Ok, so I gave it a shot. I haven't articulated with the setup yet to check for clearances, but it might just work...

So let me know what you think...yay or nay...

Centered
1.jpg

Full Left Turn
2.jpg

Full Right Turn
3.jpg

I've mounted mine on the tierod - okay, mine is a RHD which gives me space for the damper on the right hand side away from the pumpkin.

Img_7425.jpg

That looks good, but unforunately my drag link goes the opposite way of yours. Very little clearance to mount the damper between the tie rod and draglink on mine.

Why are u guys running stablizers on aftermarket steering setups??

They shouldnt be needed hence the upgrade! ((just curious))

why are they not needed?

I didn't need one on mine, but figured I would dot the i's and cross the t's and just put everythng on. I welded a plate in between my track bar mount and my upper control arm mount and mounted one end of the stabilizer there and use a tube clamp on the other side.

So far the only thing that sucks is having to take the clamp off the tie rod to adjust the toe. It clears the diff fine though.

stabilzer2.jpg

stabilzer1.jpg

When I did my WJ setup I installed everything new and had the alignment done properly, yet I still had major death wobble. Fitted my steering damper back and it was sorted...only to find out last weekend that it's actually still there, just a little subdued. I got death wobble, but with the steering damper fitted it sorted itself out much quicker than otherwise. I still have my control arm angles to fix (will be installing RCX drop brackets), once that is done, I'll try it again without steering damper, but I prefer the peace of mind having the damper in place.

When I did my WJ setup I installed everything new and had the alignment done properly, yet I still had major death wobble. Fitted my steering damper back and it was sorted...only to find out last weekend that it's actually still there, just a little subdued. I got death wobble, but with the steering damper fitted it sorted itself out much quicker than otherwise. I still have my control arm angles to fix (will be installing RCX drop brackets), once that is done, I'll try it again without steering damper, but I prefer the peace of mind having the damper in place.

The steering damper did not fix anything, if you have death wobble then something else it to blame for that. The steering damper is just a bandaid to hide the real issue. You need to check your trackbar and make sure they did a real alignment and not just adjust the toe. Find your print out and make sure they adjusted your caster also. You don't need the steering damper on a good high steer setup.

The steering damper did not fix anything, if you have death wobble then something else it to blame for that. The steering damper is just a bandaid to hide the real issue. You need to check your trackbar and make sure they did a real alignment and not just adjust the toe. Find your print out and make sure they adjusted your caster also. You don't need the steering damper on a good high steer setup.

My caster is around 5.5 deg, which is fine and with the HP D30, no vibrations at 6" lift. On the alignment machine they've set everything to be in the centre of the spec range, but I'm not so sure in terms of toe if one should stick to the stock settings or set it differently to cope for large heavy 33" wheels etc. Saying that, I think the major reason for my death wobble was the extreme angles of the lower control arms . I hope the drop brackets will solve those issues nicely.

A properly set up steering doesn't need, this is because the steering stablizer is basically there not hide/mask/comfort problems, there is no real need. I haven't run one in almost a year and I have no vibes or wobble

Hahahaaaaa, ya know i was gonna say the same thing,, but i was curious to see what his answer would be!!
The only time ive ever used one was when my XJ was smaller and had stock steering. It made a good skid plate on its first trail ride at Paragon!!!
Lasted about 5 minutes!!

Back