• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unique situation leads to odd problem

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Alright everyone. So I have a really unique situation that I am hoping just maybe someone can offer some insight before I start tearing into things that aren't broken.

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4. I purchased a new battery at Autozone and everything was good for like a week. Then as it sat over night, it would not turn over in the morning. I took it to Autozone and was told the battery was fine and that it must be a circuit in the Jeep. I opened the hood and pulled out every fuse and relay and let it sit over night. The next morning I put the fuses back in and that battery was again dead. I opened the side door and pulled out all of the fuses in the kick panal, again let it sit, put the fuses back in and again dead battery.

Now, refusing to believe that the battery is not the culprit, I took the battery out, again had it tested, still good they said. I stopped at the junk yard on the way home and bought a used battery. Dropped it in once I got home, did the normal, overnight sit. Came out in the morning and it fired right up. Have not had a battery problem since. However, it could not be that simple.

After putting the fuses back in the kick panal, my check engine light came on, I could not get my electric cooling fan to come on or the ac and also my purge valve was not running. After tracing wire after wire, I ran direct power to the power wire on the purge valve. The purge valve fired up along with the ac clutch and the cooling fan. I turned my jeep off, but left the new jumper power wire in place. Again I pulled all the fuses out of the Jeep and tested the side of the fuse socket that should have no power. Fuse 9, labeled as 'open' in the manual has power. I put all the fuses back in and installed a 10 amp fuse in slot 9. This solved the issue dealing with the purge valve, cooling fan and a/c but the check engine light remains.

The code that is coming up is P0705 which from research says that it is my neutral safety switch. I cleared the code but as soon as I start it the engine light comes back on. I tried clearing it 3 times and each time it is an instant on for the light as soon as I start my xj.

So my question is, is my switch bad? Did something else go wrong when I pulled the fuses? I really don't want to keep trying to fix things that are not broken. Any input would be awesome!

Thanks everyone,
-Jason

Back