• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regear question

Alopanec

NAXJA Forum User
Im planing on going to 456 gears with spartan locker in my 98 xj its got a d30 hp up front and 8.25 in the rear with the np231 tcase and ax15 tranny my question is that im short on time and would like to split the install for each axle between two weekends because its my daily and i have to get to work monday-friday so i was wondering if i could do the rear one weekend and then remove front drive line to still be able to drive to work and finish the front install the next weekend its maybe a 6mile round trip drive with no plans on going on the freeway or anything would this be something i could do safely

You don’t even need to remove the front shaft... it’s just insurance if you’re the type to forget that you’re mid regear. Granted you’ll need to pull it to regear anyway.

I threw some painters tape on my 4wd lever as a reminder as I was mid move and didn’t want more parts floating around

What they said, plus you don’t need to restrict your speed or distance. As long as you don’t put it into 4wd with the front driveshaft installed you as far and as fast as you normally would.

What they said, plus you don’t need to restrict your speed or distance. As long as you don’t put it into 4wd with the front driveshaft installed you as far and as fast as you normally would.
+1. Had to go a week with different front, rear ratio. No issues.

Back