• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ "Junction Box" Location??

Quailman

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to figure out what the problem is with my rear window defroster in my 96 XJ. Checked the fuse which is fine, and checked the strips on the rear window (no breaks). I also am NOT seeing a quick voltage dip when I flip the switch, and the switch does light up, so I'm guessing/hoping it's just as simple as a bad relay.

The problem is, I have no idea where this relay is on the 1996. I found a thread which stated that the relay is located in the "Junction Box". However, the diagram that was given looks nothing like the fuse/relay box under my hood, or the fuse block underneath the steering column.
Am I missing something? Is it possible there's another "junction box" hiding behind some interior molding/trim that I can't see without rippin some stuff off?
I can't find a thread anywhere which gives definitive direction as to where this box is located..

Thanks in advance.
- John

There are several connections behind the drivers side panel in the cargo area.
Remove spare tire,remove panel and there you have them....lots of screws in the various trim pieces.

A spot to look for the relay is in the lower center of the dash,look upward in the area (to left ) of the ash tray.(In my 96) there were 3 relays in a row..a red,blue and black one.Use a mirror,,,,one of those is for the signal lights -
one may be for the defogger ?

A spot to look for the relay is in the lower center of the dash,look upward in the area (to left ) of the ash tray.(In my 96) there were 3 relays in a row..a red,blue and black one.Use a mirror,,,,one of those is for the signal lights -
one may be for the defogger ?

Hmm I'll take a look. I have heard that the red relays have a 10 (or so) minute timer which tells me that the red relay is most likely the defogger since it's supposed to go off automatically after a bit.

Don't forget to inspect and continuity test the wire harness at and near the tailgate hinges. Drivers door and tailgate wire harness failures are very common.

Wayne - you were right! That's exactly where the relay is. Thanks for the direction.
Tim - where exactly is the wire harness? "Underneath" the trim on the inside of the hatch door?

Back