• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear discs & ABS

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a ZJ conversion on the back of my 93 (8.25, non-ABS) and wondered if it would swap over OK to a 98 D35 with ABS?

I know the thing should just bolt up, but what additional pitfalls are there with the tone rings and other nonsense like that?

Sorry to bore the multitudes with yet another bloody ZJ disc swap question, but apparently this hasn't been covered.

Why would you want to replace a perfectly good 8.25 axle with a D35? For ABS? I don't see that as an upgrade.

I don't want to seem harsh but, learn to modular the brake pedal under hard braking. It requires much less maintenance that ABS and it's free :D

I really can't help beyond that. If there is another good reason for the swap then go for it, but I wouldn't. Of course I don't know what parts avaiability is in Scotland so this is just opinion.

Good luck.

It would probably just swap right over provided you have the sensors for ZJ abs, they did have it, you are also going to need the harness to get up front and hopefully the connectors are the same. Other than that I see no other issues, unless there is a proportioning valve issue but maybe not.
I don't dislike abs, I've only had one bad experience with it on a 1 mile long steel grate bridge, gently hit the brakes to slow down and the next thing I know EVERYONE behind me was coming to full stop, I about lost control and changed lanes maybe 5 times in 2 seconds, that was with the wifes Oldsmobile. I know I scared the bejesus out of the family that was in the car next to me and am still amazed I did not broadside them. Once I removed the seat covers from my butt I was back on my way.

Ah, sorry, I didn't explain that very well - I've got a new car and want to stick the disc brakes off the old heep onto it. There isn't anything I need in addition to what's already on the old one to make the swap is there?

Chancer said:
Ah, sorry, I didn't explain that very well - I've got a new car and want to stick the disc brakes off the old heep onto it. There isn't anything I need in addition to what's already on the old one to make the swap is there?

OK, that makes a little more sense cannibalizing the old Jeep and putting the better parts onto the new one. . .

The ABS-D35 should bolt right in for a non-ABS application. Tone rings don't matter, and the sensors just unbolt. As I recall, the yoke is a different length between the 8.25 and the D35 so, you may need a different driveshaft. Also, the ABS-D35 uses a smaller wheel cylinder than a non-ABS-D35 - changing wheel cylinders should give a slight improvement in braking performance.

I think this could win an award for the most confusing thread! Thanks for the info, but I only want to swap the brakes over - the old axle's pretty tired and doesn't have compatible gearing.

Sooo... all I want to do is swap my drums for the discs I already have, but I'm wondering whether having ABS on the new car complicates things at all.

Chancer said:
I think this could win an award for the most confusing thread! Thanks for the info, but I only want to swap the brakes over - the old axle's pretty tired and doesn't have compatible gearing.

Sooo... all I want to do is swap my drums for the discs I already have, but I'm wondering whether having ABS on the new car complicates things at all.
Ahh this is like those math tests back in school: If 2 cars are headed towards each other at 60mph (that's around 85kph. . .), What color are they?

So what you really want to do is "a ZJ disk brake conversion on a 98 D35 with ABS" AND I presume, keep the ABS functional?

Assuming tone rings and sensors are compatible, I'd have to answer "Blue."

If you don't want to keep the ABS functional, tone rings can get knocked loose, and sensors removed so, I'd answer "Red."

Back