• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ or WJ Seats. Which are more comfortable?

MRFD715

NAXJA Forum User
I am wanting to upgrade the seats in my XJ and it seems like seats out of a Grand Cherokee are the way to go. I don't really have any questions about installing them as I found some good writeups about it (although trying to wire for power might slow me up, not my forte). Just wondering from the folks that have done swaps what they find more comfortable, ZJ or WJ and also cloth or leather. Thanks for any and all opinions!

The leather in my WJ is more comfortable than the cloth WJ seats in my XJ. Could be partially seating position though.

I have the leather XJ seats and I think they're great.

I would think you have a better chance of finding WJ seats in good condition than the ZJ. You might find your decision made for you by selection. FWIW I prefer the WJ seats.

Having sat in tons of ZJs and WJs over the years, I've always preferred the WJ leather to the ZJ leather. I like the pillow top ZJ seats, but I find for long trips they lack support.

That said, I have WJ seats in my XJ, and the only way I've found to make the seat heaters work is to swap in the WJ BCM and specific-resistance switches. Granted, I've not tried this yet, but I did a bunch of research into it AFTER I bought my seats.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna put a lot of money into my Jeep over the summer to make it a more reliable and comfortable daily driver. I'm just trying to do my research and get the best stuff I can for what I want to do to it. I did wonder about the availiability of ZJ seats that would be in good condition. I think i'll look for a set of WJ seats. I know my local salvage yards have bunches of them sitting around so they shouldn't be to hard to get ahold of.

Durango SLT Plus leather seats are sweet too I just put a set in the YJ :D

X2 There nice, i never seen them in an xj though

my wifes 02 WJ seats are very comfy one of the only reasons i drive it :cheers:

WJ leathers... the best. If youre going to try to make the seat heaters work, you might want to look into getting the heater elements replaced as there have been two recall on them... actually the second one was a recall of a recall. The elements like to burn up and zap you in the but through the cushion. If you are lucky and know someone at a Jeep dealer, and you get the VIN from your donor, you may be able to get the elements replaced for free.... assuming the dealership service writer will work with you and you donor VIN. Good luck!

Back