• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's Build Time!

AlabamaBill

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, It is time to starting building. I figure I ll be be more mud then rock and it will be a mild off road rig with limited pavement driver. I would use it for play, hunting, store trips while hunting, and driving to hunting camp. I dont want a lot a lift, plan on smaller tires 30-31's. Okay now here for the advice.

How big of draw back is running a AX15 compared to AX5? It save money and work to keep the AX15. I have Chrysler rear end 27splines with 3:07s, though I have set of dana 35/30's with 3:73, or (suspected 4:10's or better out of 4 banger). Now, I could pick up ford 8.8 if 4:10s or 3:73s if none of the other items are recommended. I figure till I can afford a locker, (all rearends are open that I currently have) is to run a mini spool in which ever rear I use.

Now, I want 2-3 inch lift aka avoid a slip yoke at this time but not expend a lot in case I want to go to 4 plus in future. So, I want to do a junkyard lift, I looking at either ford f150 or jeep grand V8 coil springs on front advice here please??? For the rear a bastard pack with use of dakota or s-10 but advice on spring comibination for 3 inches not the 4 inch I find in searches?

I cant afford a which at this time but what would you recommend with enconomy in mind, suggestion on bumpers and tow points, gonna get fab suggestion on thickness, materials, blueprints etc?

I begging for input but dont what to post this in general since I prefer to hear from fellow southerners, yes I dislike yankees.

Thanks
Bill Carraway
Moulton, Alabama

If you are only going to run 30's or 31's the 307 gears should be fine. I would stick with the 8.25 as opposed to the D35, but the 8.8 is also a good option (you will need spacers with the 8.8 because it is narrow).
For the lift, if you are only wanting 2-3 inches, you should go with a budget boost with front spacers and a rear shackle or long aal.
I think I saw a Ramsey 8500 in the vender forum for 400 shipped. Make sure not to slack on strengthening your frame rails.

Just for your reference, I have known of several people running 5-6 inches with no sye.

AlabamaBill said:
How big of draw back is running a AX15 compared to AX5? It save money and work to keep the AX15. I have Chrysler rear end 27splines with 3:07s, though I have set of dana 35/30's with 3:73, or (suspected 4:10's or better out of 4 banger). Now, I could pick up ford 8.8 if 4:10s or 3:73s if none of the other items are recommended. I figure till I can afford a locker, (all rearends are open that I currently have) is to run a mini spool in which ever rear I use.

A ax5 was put on the 4 cylinder engines and are weeker trannies. I would stick with the ax15. For the rear ends I would run the chrysler and regear or go with the 8.8 with lower gears. Stay away from the c-clip axles as much as possible. I have some dana 35 chromo shafts if you are interested. I believe I need 250.00 for both. the 35 I have has 4:88's yukon axle shafts and a lock right locker. I believe you could get it for around 600.00 However it is out of a TJ. And for lockers a lock right will cost you about 289.00 , spooling would be cheaper, or you could even weld it if you wanted. But that would not be the way to go if driving it on the street.

Josh

Now, I want 2-3 inch lift aka avoid a slip yoke at this time but not expend a lot in case I want to go to 4 plus in future. So, I want to do a junkyard lift, I looking at either ford f150 or jeep grand V8 coil springs on front advice here please??? For the rear a bastard pack with use of dakota or s-10 but advice on spring comibination for 3 inches not the 4 inch I find in searches?

{ You can do a budget boost and run the tire size you are looking for. I believe you can do one of those for under 200.00 pretty much spacers and add a leafs. But you are looking for cheap.}

I cant afford a which at this time but what would you recommend with enconomy in mind, suggestion on bumpers and tow points, gonna get fab suggestion on thickness, materials, blueprints etc?

{ Mile Marker makes a good winch, and the owner of Wheelin in the country, buys the Sams Club winch and runs it till they die. He says they last a couple years and he puts them through hell. I believe he gets them for around 350.00 or 450.00 . On the bumpers, I make all my stuff out of DOM, However HREW works but it dings easier. Make sure to turn the seam to the inside. That is for tubing. If you want to use rectangle tubing, use 3x6 or 3x8 .250 wall. You can make the brackets for mounting to the unibody out of 1/4 x 6 steel flat bar, and make some compression sleeves to go inside the uniframe and another flat bar on the back side. There is several ways to do this, search here, and look on the web. Hope this helps some.

AlabamaBill said:
I begging for input but dont what to post this in general since I prefer to hear from fellow southerners, yes I dislike yankees.

Easy there Bill....there may be some of those darn Yanks among us.....:shhh:

as for the build...keep it simple with spacers, and build some good protections, bumpers, rails, skids. Sam's occassionally has a 7500 no name winch for $300....I'd get it if it would fit in my bumper!

dummy me, I meant I had option with a auto AW4 not AX5 or now that I have looked up somethings, it gonna be a chryo 904 w/207 I got setting out back, will check out bolt pattern in a bit.

So 1/4 is recommend thickness on supports, re-inforcement, etc. lot of wt, Wondering if BB would be a bit overload on factory springs was reason I had left that option off and went with ford springs and bastard pack. I thankfull for imput!

Josh, how much for a lesson in how to run that Henrod 2000 torch btw? I cant figure mine out. Maybe we can set something up this weekend or first of the week. I ll drop mine off for repair.

I guessing based on opinion of fellow "southerners", I leave in chryo 8.25 3:07 for time being power by tried and true 4L, Ax-15 tranny for starters. hammer and weld in some good tow pts, and slapp some tires on... oh well getting ahead of myself.

I just bought a single RE1463 spring 3.5 for 25 bucks so looks like my lift is growing LOL. (is that how it always works) So now we are looking at 3 to 3.5 inch lift so back to spring issue and now for shock advice :(

Thanks
Bill

I would stay away from the ford coils because they are very stiff and do not flex well. I have seen some 3 inch coil spacers on ebay pretty cheap or you could get new coils for about 150. Remember with 3 inches, it is likely you will need some longer lca's to keep the vibes down.

New coils from rusty's is 150.00 a pair. I don't know how much for other companies. Also you can not beat the Auto. I love mine, I hammer on it and it holds up. But if you are towing a lot then maybe the AX15 would be better with the higher gears you have. I can show you how to use the henrob it is easy. About repairs it will be a another 2 weeks or so before I start selling these. I can get your parts though no problem. I am working sat. maybe sunday. Shoot me a p.m. with your number again and we will try to set up a time to meet up.

caglezxj said:
New coils from rusty's is 150.00 a pair.
I got my 3 inch Skyjacker coils off this board for 80 shipped, and I've got no complaints. I've got an ARB up front, but no winch. I think they'll settle a bit with a winch. The ride has been good, as well as the articulation. I think I may eventually go to a 4" spring, anticipating bigger tires, and a winch....
I'd keep your eye on the for sale board, it's been good to me, and springs come up fairly regularly, specially the 3-3.5" variety, as everyone goes bigger...:sunshine:

Jess said:
Remember with 3 inches, it is likely you will need some longer lca's to keep the vibes down.
I'm at 3 inches with stock length LCA's, not stock, but stock length...no problems, not even in Full Time...:D

Slow have had an inner ear problem and not able to turn a wrench much. I have been primarily shopping around for stuff. I got rear springs, LCA's, shocks, plus some misc stuff I need for repairs in other areas, New front fenders, radiator, electric cooling fan etc. My current major need is front springs for about 3 to 3.5 lift or smaller with spacers. I am also bargin hunting for 8.8 ford in local junkyards in 4.10. I have a dana 30 4:10 for the swap. So making progress but still long way. June may be realistic LOL

Thanks
Bill

UPDATE: Bought 98 Ford Explorer 8.8 with disc (minus a caliper), 4:10 gears factory posi for 150.00. I also have wheel spacers, shocks, and springs, on the way for the rear. So Rear parts about 80% found.

The front is different story, got 30 with 4:10 gears waiting to be pulled and that is it.

No progress on tow points to speak of but got some ideals but lack of funds at the moment.

Bill

Okay, I am running out of Money for a bit and need to get the wheels back on the road so to speak. I need a find the cheapest way to put shocks on the front that will handle 3.5 lift. Got a used in good condition for back. So what shock guys? I have brand new front OEM style on it now...well 8 miles on them.

So My first Off roader looks like, 3.5 RE lift all the way arround, 8.8 ford posi/dana 30 open 4:10, 4L, Ax 15 all riding on 31's. Tow points still in the works. Should have it back on pavement and rolling this week. Upgrades to axles will have to wait a few weeks or month or two. May eliminate c clips on 8.8 and go to a full spool and some sort of lunch box in the front.

Also eyeballing a 3 speed monster box for a summer fall upgrade, question do you really need that kinda crawl around here? I dont see me climbing a telphone pole or anything :)

Thanks
Guys

AlabamaBill said:
Okay, I am running out of Money for a bit and need to get the wheels back on the road so to speak. I need a find the cheapest way to put shocks on the front that will handle 3.5 lift. Got a used in good condition for back. So what shock guys? I have brand new front OEM style on it now...well 8 miles on them.
Here's a link to what I've got on my garage floor. I ran them stock and with 3 inch springs. I'm sure I could make you a good deal!
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=904724

Newbie here,
Rough Country has a 3 inch lift for around $100 to $110, comes with 3"coils and rear add-a-leafs with 1" blocks. I put this on my first XJ ('88) with 31's. Still working nice, although my dad won't sell it back to me!!
But I found an '89 with 33's, 4.56 gears, rock sliders, aftermarket bumpers and cut fenders, for just $400. and it runs and drives good!! So I'll be back wheeling soon need to fix a few things.

I hit a bump, I had a 4 banger manual donor sitting in the back and expected it to be 4.10s and of courese it had 3.55:1 It was virtually the last piece of the puzzle. Now, I got a gapping hole...of course cash will plug it but really sort strapped now. So, I am not sure what to do right now. I guess, I sit on the 8.8 ford and have one these D30's regeared when I get more money. I can swap corporate/HP 30 with 3.55 for bit of nothing, still a good improvement over the 3.07. I guess I stick with 31's or 30's for this season and go that route.

I can have one of them regeared for you for 175.00 plus gears. I sale Randy's gears, tell me your model and axle size and I will get you a quote. Or if you know someone who sets gears up good but cheaper let me know, my guy is in Tullohoma, TN but he is good at gearing.

Back