• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Gear preload and depth

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys i am now in the process of installing the 4.56 in the Dana 30 high pinion. I took everthing apart have a few questions. (its setup much different the rear Chry 8.25. In front of the rear pinion bearing you have the race followed by some beveled washer. no other shims there. Then half way up the pinion you have a kind of step with a seriers of several shims. i am assuming these are to set preload. Then you have the front (yoke side) bearing race the front bearing another oil style flinger and the the seal. My question is i don't know where the shims are to set pinion depth. There were none under the rear pinion bearing either. Just another oil slinger. Are the shims to adjust the pinion depth the ones half way up the pinion gear? i don't think so because those looke like the ones neccessary to set preload. The other thing i am unsure about is how do i know how tight to make the pinion nut with a shim style (vs the crush sleeve). is the pinion nut essentially supposed to stop itself once the threads are finished. And at that point you should have your 12inch-lbs of resistance. Any help would be great. thanks

Oh one more thing. i was under the impression that pinion depth shims were either behind rear pinion bearing or behind rear pinion race. Which there is nothing. The only thing behind the rear pinion race like i said was the beveled washer which comes in my over haul kits and looks to be like a part that the axle needs. not something to adjust pinion depth. thanks again.

On a shim style pinion the "yoke" torque is independent.Bearing pre-load is set by the shims and yoke should have an actual torque value indicated.On a "crush-sleeve" you tighten the assembly until you obtain the pinion pre-load(no torque value established).

Ya that makes sense. Randys Site says that it requires around 250lb/ft. I have a craftsmans torque wrench however it only goes up to like 180lb/ft. Where can i get torque requirement? Anyone know of hand what it is? Thanks

Let me guess, the oil slinger measures somewhere around .080 thousandths. On a lot of the mid 90's and newer D30's Jeep used a selectable fit oil slinger to set the pinion depth. Being a high pinion diff, you can't run without it, and you probably won't be able to set the diff up correctly with the same slinger. Go to the dealer and get the .030" slinger and make up the rest of the pinion depth behind the inner pinion race, in the housing.

Application should be 88 or so XJ.

I looked at a schematic from dana. It shows that the shims for pinion depth are to be placed behind the rear bearing race.(where it should be placed. I guess that with the oil slinger and the beleved washer it just so happened that the correct pattern and depth was achieved. Its Dana Spicer gears so it came with the slinger and beveled washer. JJacobs why do you say i should go get a .03"slinger from the dealer? SHouldn't i just try it out with what the kit supplied and add shims if needed? If the pinion depth is too deep then i would need to get a thinner slinger.

If there both Dana/Spicer gears compare the numbers and adjust accordingly.

I say that because when I used to do a lot of XJ gears, most install kits didn't come with a thin slinger. No thin slinger + later model XJ with select fit slinger for pinion depth = job doesn't get done that day. :(

Jacobs is correct. but I believe its around .060" for the big slinger.
add the .030" slinger that came with your install kit, the .020" steped baffle behind the bearing cup, and somewhere in the neighborhood of .030 behind the bearing cup with the baffle. I could be off on that last #. its still early and my brain isn't awake yet...

Back