• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wanted Mechanic for work on Nissan pathfinder.

skycrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Iam looking for a mechanic to help fix my moms 1998 nissan pathfinder. im in Northern cali so im not able to deal with it.. her bf replaced the water pump and a few other things and it runs bad. Most likely the water pump was faulty im in the market to either pay someone to get it up and running.. or if ur a ase mechanic the manu of the water pump will pay a ase mechanic up to 85 an hour to replace it. but it might take a few months to get the money..

overall all i need it fixed and running for her and cant trust her bf to do it again. need it done asap either way

pm me with ur contact info and ill get u in touch with her. the nissan is in lafayette with space to work on it there or i can workout getting it to you..

thanks

Are you positive it's a water pump issue? What exactly is it doing? Leaking, overheating?

What else did he replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The timing belt has to be removed/replaced in order to replace the water pump on the Nissan 3.3L motors. If it's running like crap, chances are that her shade tree BF got it a few teeth out of time.

FWIW, this IS an interference (valve bender) engine.

Are you sure? I'm not seeing that in AllData for a 1998 Pathfinder 4wd w/ 3.3L V6. Looks like you have to remove the timing covers but the pump isn't driven by the timing belt itself. I also looked at the timing belp procedures. Only thing it mentions about the timing belt in the procedures for the water pump r&r is to not get coolant on it.

edit: it also says to remove the crankshaft pulley (though not the timing sprocket) and the upper and lower timing belt covers

Otherwise I agree, Audi/VW V6's use the timing belt to drive the water pump and if you don't use the proper cam locking tool (they also use a crank locking tool) you could really mess things up. A lot of cars are like that actually, and I always just shake my head and laugh at all those people who skimp on a 50$ waterpump while getting their timing belt replaced. They usually wind up back at the shop paying for all that labor again to get the worn out water pump replaced not long afterwards.

I have no experiance with them personally, so I'm not trying to argue. I was just looking at AllData to get a basis for whats involved.

I do agree that regardless of whether it needed to be removed or not it sounds like a timing belt issue would be the primary suspect for it not running correctly after getting the water pump done. Depending on what else was replaced by the guy.

Shut up and put a YJ clip on that project of yours already so we can make a trade. :D

I'm sure we could work something out but in the end you would still have a project and I'd probably be even farther away from driving my Jeep than I am now. :D

Are you positive it's a water pump issue? What exactly is it doing? Leaking, overheating?

What else did he replace?

he replaced the timing belt and water pump at the same time.. ran great for like 50 miles. and it seems the thermostate is sticking and causing it to overheat..

i havent been able to look at it myself.. but i was told the water pump was faulty and would cause that issue. and that it was suspose to be a new waterpump but wasnt.

So you need somebody to replace the pump and thermostat again, and verify timing?

I can look up the time in AllData and send you a quote, I'm not sure if I'd be up to it this weekend though. My back is still iffy from when I hurt it plus it's Halloween so I've got pumpkins to carve and a kid to take trick or treating.

So you need somebody to replace the pump and thermostat again, and verify timing?

I can look up the time in AllData and send you a quote, I'm not sure if I'd be up to it this weekend though. My back is still iffy from when I hurt it plus it's Halloween so I've got pumpkins to carve and a kid to take trick or treating.

thanks that would be great.. ofcourse the cheaper the better since shes not making much money right now..

still looking for someone to help me fix this.. can pay cash to get it back on the road. or if your a ase mechanic the waterpump company will pay up to 8 hrs at 85 and hr to fix it.

thanks

Back