• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ Blower Fan Fuse Socket Seriously Deteriorated

christianbe

NAXJA Forum User
This has been an issue for the past 4 or 5 years, I have replaced the blower motor, the resistor, etc. just as a means of preventative maintenance. When I set the AC fan to level 3 or higher the fuse begins to get hot enough to start melting the plastic due to the severely deteriorated socket.

I want to bypass this old fuse socket by just snatching that particular wire from the back of the interior fuse box harness and wiring in a ATS fuse pigtail. Has anyone had this issue and addressed it this way? If not, what did you do to fix this problem?

That's probably not the only rotten fuse terminal. Bite the bullet and redo all the terminals in the fuse block. It's not that hard, and you're halfway there by the time you pull the panel out.

Here's thread on it, at least for Renix jeeps. A 92 might be different, but probably uses the same terminals. I posted part numbers and a source for the terminals.
https://naxja.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1142103

I had to redo the entire fuse block on my 86 as the clutch master was leaking on top of it and destroying the plastic. I grabbed one out of a 93 and meticulously matched wires. Try to get one out of the same year to make life a lot easier.
http://jeep-manual.ru/index.php?page=334
This is a 93 but this site really helped and still helps me out with things.

Appreciate the link! I inspected the fuse block over the weekend and it is actually in fantastic shape with the exception of the blower socket. The blower socket actually has structural damage due to heat over the years as well, so I am really thinking about nabbing that particular wire out of the loom and throwing a pig tail on it at this point.

Back